What weekends are for.... Smoking meat and a glass of bourbon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shrimp nasty

Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Southern Alabama
Hope everyone's having a good weekend. I'm trying out some burgers tonight (just went in actually) and some spare ribs tomorrow. Starting to slowly come to an understanding with my smoker and it's helping with cooking temps, times etc. For my ribs tomorrow, I put on a veggie oil coat w/ a dry rub outta a book the wife got me awhile ago. Planning on doing the 3-2-1 method with maybe another 30 min in the foil to try and increase the tenderness. We both like fall off the bone and I've heard that's the time to increase tenderness. I'm also going to try and give some sprays of apple vinegar throughout the cooking (anyone had luck w/ this or something better to suggest/ not do it at all?). Anyways, I'm going to go enjoy the smell of the smoke for a little while with the dogs. Yall have a good one.

Cheers

Shrimp

Good luck...and I use Apple Juice not Vinegar....but try and see if it works for you.

Show q-views!

Kat

Good luck and welcome BTW. What kind of smoker ya using? I never spray or mop... I like the rough and tough texure of a good bark and tug off the bone, jmho... but its what ever your likings are. try a few methods and see whats your favorite.. either way... they gonna be good. Some better.. some just GOOD..

Mike

Thanks. using a MES 40, new to the whole gig and it seemed like an easy way to get into it. So far so good. As for the burgers... did 60 min on the smoker w/ pecan chips and 1 min each side on the propane grill. As Hank Hill always says... "Taste the meat not the heat." Anyways, the wife said she preferred the smoked burger to the one I made her straight up on the grill. Personally, I'd have to agree. A little smoke goes a long way and it added just that little extra bit of flavor w/o sacrificing any juiciness.

As for the ribs... I plan on putting a weird little experiment mix of apple juice and Dales in the tin foil. To be honest, I'm running low on apple juice and I don't feel like running to the store tomorrow so I'm playing scientist. Worst case scenario, I order pizza and learn something.

Beautiful forecast for tomorrow. Some (hopefully) decent ribs and a glass of bourbon. Coupled with the company of the wife and pups.... Life doesn't get much better. Maybe even the neighbors if the ribs turn out good :-).

you already nailed the art of smoking.. regardless of the food.. its the whole.. "Keep Calm and Smoke Something".. its like a zen thing.. its relaxing..  and it will be edible in the long run... if its that bad.. add some sauce.. and serve a lot of sides.. but all in all...

Keep Calm and Smoke Something.... :):):)

Some (hopefully) decent ribs and a glass of bourbon. Coupled with the company of the wife and pups.... Life doesn't get much better. Maybe even the neighbors if the ribs turn out good :-).

Finished my smoked tri-tip dinner and I'm just relaxing with my glass of Gentleman

Jack over ice right now...not much better!!!
beercheer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky