what to mix with goose/duck snack stix?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aftershox454

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Spokane Washington
hey guys-

alright I did some snack sticks a while back out of the box and liked the flavor I got but was not pleased with the texture- very crumbly and inconsistent-

i have another round of shot up birds coming my way and want to redo the snack stix with some other ground meat mixed in-

the obvious choice for me is beef as it is already ground- but i do not know how it will mix-

anybody out there have some reccomendations as far as what to mix with duck/goose and if it is beef- what lean to fat ratio do you use- 80-20, 93-7 ?

any hep would be great-

thanks in advance

Alex

Hi Alex,

One thing you'll need to consider is total fat content. I make a chicken sausage from thigh meat, and I add beef fat to reach a total fat content of 15-18% by weight for a relatively lean sausage. Anything under 15% I've found to be too lean, and it can get dry/crumbly after smoking. I do a cured mix with TQ, and this helps so I can cold smoke and then transition to a hot smoke...great results with this amount of fat in a cured mix.

If you were going to add another meat into the mix, say 50/50 duck/beef, you'll need 35% fat in the beef to get 17.5% fat content.

I use beef trimmings from brisket when I trim/separate before smoking. I bag it up and freeze to save until the next sausage grind.

For straight beef jerky strips or sticks I use 85/15 ground chuck.

Eric

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now you definatly need some fat in your sausage. I normally use pork from a butt or shoulder. Now you can keep some of the fat that you trim off a brisket or a ham and use it too. I always just throw my trimmings in a baggie and weight them and then freeze them for later use.

I mix my duck and geese 50% duck with 50% (80/20) pork butts. Sometimes I back off a couple of pounds of pork butt and add 2lbs of pure pork back fat. Always really good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky