What to do, what to do

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No matter what you do the skin on the chicken out of the MES is no good, but I really don't care for the heavy smoke taste of the skin anyway, and I never eat chicken skin no matter what, so it doesn't matter.  What matters is the meat under the skin.

But chicken and turkey are the primary things I cook on my MES.  And trust me it is good.

I'm not sure what I did but I ran my 30" at 275 and did 2 four and a half pound chickens, and the skin came out crispy.

I smoked a chicken today at 275 and the skin came out crispy but it got soggy after I had it tented in foil for an hour. I posted the pics over in the poultry forum.

One thing to note, if you use an extension cord, you need a good one.  12ga is best.  lighter cords can decrease the amount of power to the unit, decreasing your ability to make temp.

One thing to note, if you use an extension cord, you need a good one.  12ga is best.  lighter cords can decrease the amount of power to the unit, decreasing your ability to make temp.

Lucky for me, the outdoor outlet is less than 3 feet from the smoker. But if I do have to move it, I do have many heavy duty extension cords (dad likes his power toys).

I did edit it.  But forgot what the original said.  Reply anyway based on the original.

usa.gif

Congratulations on your MES.

A couple of suggestions from another MES owner who has used it only a few times, if I may.

First, understand that he unit's heater is controlled by both the Set Time and Set Temp limits AND from all I can figure out, you are required to set both to make the heater come on.  Doesn't sound too complicated or important, right?  Well, if you don't put enough time on the Set Time clock it will turn the heater off before you reach your desired temp.  At least, that has been my experience.  If there is a way to do it differently, I haven't learned it yet.  Maybe some more experienced MES user will set me straight or confirm my point.  The danger would be if you are cooking poultry and don't get enough heat and the meat sits too long.  You might be breeding harmful bugs and not know it.

Second, get the AMNPS!!!!!!   And while you're at it go ahead and buy pellets of all the types he sells.  You will drive yourself nuts trying to keep the chip burner on the MES supplied with chips. DAMHIKT.  IMO, buying the MES without buying the AMNPS and using pellets is like buying a new car without buying any gasoline for it . . . .   looks damned   good but don't serve well at all.

Third, do ribs, pork and beef before you try poultry.  You need to be thoroughly familiar with using the MES before doing poultry because the danger of salmonella is greater with birds.  The maximum temperature I can set on my MES is 275*.  That means that it takes a pretty long while to get even small birds up to 165-170* IT, never mind the 180* that the guides say you should achieve.

As for crispness of skin on poultry, I agree that using a grill or your inside oven broiler is probably the best solution.  I don't eat the skin on chicken as a matter of preference; so that is not so important to me.  I did find that rubbing good oil (EVOO) onto  and under the skin directly on the meat gave good results.  I guess crispy skin is a relative term.

Enjoy your first smoke!

Congrats on the New Smoker (MES). I didn't read all the threads , however it can not be repeated enough...

Please get a "Probe Thermometer" to keep track of Internal Meat Temperatures(IMT)...we don't want to see anyone getting sick and giving-up on Smoking!

Polder , is a decent lower end(cost) probe type and are sold at BedBathandBeyond for about $20.Target also has Probe Therms. , as does Wally World.

Check-out and use the probes to assure the Breast gets to 165*f . Cook @ 275*f to 300*f for a crispier skin (otherwise it will be rubbery).A trip to the Grill can crisp the skin also , but why complicate things???

Have fun and.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky