What temp to wrap?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
What temp should you wrap your butts? At 155 now but temp still creeping up. Not sure if I should wrap. Nice bark not tacky at all. I am misting every hr

I don't wrap, but if I did, I'd do it during the stall which is usually around 165℉ or so.

But every butt is different...:emoji_wink:

Also, I don't spritz very much, if any at all, because opening the smoker will drop the chamber temp and prolong the cook. Butts are very forgiving and don't require much to become great pulled pork...

Well I wrapped at 156 I am on a pellet smoker, but when I put probes back in temp dropped to 146. The had 61/2 hours on the smoke and had a great color and good bark. Hope I did not wrap to early. Dang probe. 😕

I also don't wrap by design. I wrap when I get tired of feeding splits to the offset, which usually happens about 9 hours in.

But if I were gonna wrap, I would wrap when its coming out of the stall. After its sweated out most of its juices.

Since I smoke on my kettles, and just use an inta-read thermometer. I usually wrap when my coals need to be replenished usually somewhere around 5 to 7 hours at 240 to 280*. When the butt or brisket is wrapped up. I'll knock the ash down, push the remaining lit coals to one side of the SnS and add more unlit coals. Since the protein is wrapped up tightly I'm not concerned about the billowing white smoke the new coals give off when starting up.

I'm also on team Charles as I don't spritz. I also use a disposable aluminum pan with a small rack inside the pan for the meat to sit on during the wrapped stage. It's easier and the protein is returned to the heat quicker.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Your choice on wrapping. First, stop misting. Butt's don't need it and you are lowering the temp a lot and causing a recovery time which lengthens the cook time. Question, is this for dinner tonight? If so, wrap after 5-6 hours in smoke then bump the temp to 300º.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky