What should the spent wood look like

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
So, i've said it before and it will be a long time until I stop. I'm new to smoking meat. I've done 3 attemps, food is editable, but I want more. I've heard about this Thin Blue Smoke and it is now my focus. I have a smoke planned for this afternoon, a chuck roast for poor mans burnt ends, to eat while the Sounders maul LAFC 😈.

Anyway, the question at the moment is what should the wood I use to smoke with end up looking like? All of the smokes I have done so far, the wood ended as very small charcoal pieces. I've read about incomplete combustion, and am attempting to understand how to control the vents. I figure if I knew how the wood should end, i can change the venting to get to that point.

Currently, the only way I have tried to manage the smoke is via temperature in the smoker. This limits smokes to under 120°. Any information would be appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
What type smoker ya using , what type of wood.when I used my offset I would end up with basically ash. I also tried not to play with the vent but used the vent on the fire box to control temp , I wouldn't worry to much about getting that thin blue smoke as long as the smoke isnt billowing out you'll be fine. But it's always fun to try and fine tune your smoker.

Reactions: TNJAKE
It always ends up as ashes. When it gets to the red coals stage it's time for another split.
TBS is something we strive for but not always easy LOL!
Like Jim said, as long as it's not a thick billowing smoke it's ok., In fact a new split will usually smoke quite a bit 'til it gets burning.
I have an offset and control the pit temp with the firebox door/vent (occasionally cracking the pit door to let off excess heat).
Leave the stack wide open.
What kind of smoker are you running?

What type smoker ya using , what type of wood.when I used my offset I would end up with basically ash. I also tried not to play with the vent but used the vent on the fire box to control temp , I wouldn't worry to much about getting that thin blue smoke as long as the smoke isnt billowing out you'll be fine. But it's always fun to try and fine tune your smoker.
I have a Smoke Vault 18 gas smoker. My wood always ends up as charcoal pieces. I am currently using chips until I run out then will migrate to chunks, or some ratio.

The wood should end as ash. You smoldering the wood, but it still should end in ash. Often you will have to stir the wood chunks a bit. They end up with ash between them and the heat. Knock them around at that point and keep clean contact with the pan and wood.

Another option is I could be putting too much wood in the tray which if more ignited and created smoke could cause more smoke then I want.

I do stir the chips several times before I add more.

The wood should end as ash. You smoldering the wood, but it still should end in ash. Often you will have to stir the wood chunks a bit. They end up with ash between them and the heat. Knock them around at that point and keep clean contact with the pan and wood.
Are you suggesting I use just enough wood to coat the bottom if the chip tray?

No not saying that at all. That’s the master of the pit call. I don’t run your style of smoker, but I have a 3x3x7’ wooden smokehouse that I heat with a propane burner with a cast iron pan on top for wood chunks to make smoke. I manage my wood chunks by pushing all the ash to the rear of the pan and rotating wood chunks from top to bottom to control ash underneath the chunks.

I have a Smoke Vault 18 gas smoker. My wood always ends up as charcoal pieces. I am currently using chips until I run out then will migrate to chunks, or some ratio.
I'm not familiar with that smoker, but when I was using a MB gasser I used a Cast Iron pan for the chips and they went to ashes even when I soaked them.
I had to replenish them every half hour or so.
I don't think you have to worry about too much smoke with a gas smoker with chips....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky