What screws do I use to reattach the back of a MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemonduck

Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Hey all,
I just finished fixing up my MES (temperature limiter switch needed replacing).
I drilled out the back rivets to remove the back panel and now I'm all ready to put the back panel back on but have no idea what screws I need to buy.

Do I get sheet metal screws? Self tapping? self tapping metal screws?
What material: Plated? Stainless?
What size: #4? #6? #8?
Sorry for the lack of knowledge with this stuff. I'm an electronics guy. Screw types are foreign to me.

if it was 1/8" rivets that you drilled out I'll thinking a #6 sheet metal screw will work as long as you used an 1/8" drill.
Or you can use a #6 self driller in the same holes or make new holes. I'd try using the existing hole as the stainless is tough to drill.
It might be some trial and error to get it right.

1/2 " wafer head teks are common at #8 . Teks are self drilling .
1/2 " is the length .
Like Dan said , at this point it all depends on what size drill bit you used .
If you didn't enlarge the hole #8 should work . That metal is really thin inside an MES . I would hand drive those so you don't strip them .
Take the drill bit to the store and get a screw a bit bigger than the drill .

To late for this tip , but for anyone else that needs to drill rivets out of an MES , get the # 8 self tapping screws . Use the drill point of the screw to remove the head of the rivet . That way you know the screws will fit , because it drills the correct size hole .

Edit . After re reading , I see you have the whole back off . I was thinking you only had the 2 screws inside .

Last edited:
Just logged back in after a bit of a hiatus.
Realized i was an inconsiderate jerk here by not saying thanks for the replies.

So...thanks for the replies!!!! :)

Reactions: zwiller and DanMcG
Just logged back in after a bit of a hiatus.
Realized i was an inconsiderate jerk here by not saying thanks for the replies.

So...thanks for the replies!!!! :)

Lol no biggie. Did you get it squared away?

Lol no biggie. Did you get it squared away?

Actually... Not yet.
Final piece of the puzzle....
I'm attaching the back plate now and surprise surprise, I don't have those screws.
I pulled a screw off my other MES and it fits fine so I'm wondering if anyone knows what screw this is?
Probably going try to run off to home depot or Lowes tonight.
Stainless steel sheet metal screw of some kind?

Attachments

• 20211121_132712.jpg
    20211121_132712.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211121_132646.jpg
    20211121_132646.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 20
Review post 3 . Those will work and they will have them , or they should

Actually... Not yet.
Final piece of the puzzle....
I'm attaching the back plate now and surprise surprise, I don't have those screws.
I pulled a screw off my other MES and it fits fine so I'm wondering if anyone knows what screw this is?
Probably going try to run off to home depot or Lowes tonight.
Stainless steel sheet metal screw of some kind?

Worse case some 3/4 inch self tapping sheet metal screws from home depot will get the job done :)

For everything to strengthen well, I would advise you to use concrete screws. Yes, I understand that they are made for something completely different. Still, because they are very durable, they can be great helpers in your situation. Therefore, you should read about them on Google and understand whether you need them or not. It's just that I literally used them today to repair the house and damn it, they help me keep a lot of things. Therefore, if you need help choosing other screws, write to me in private messages. I will help you. I hope my post will help you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky