What precautions are you taking for Corona Virus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We haven't changed all that much, just yet:
Mrs Bear has been getting Flu Shots for quite a few years.
I never get one, because it never scared me. This Coronavirus does.
However due to my Heart & Lung Vulnerabilities, I occupy my recliner even a little more than I have for a few years, especially in the Winter.
Mrs Bear still goes to the post office every day, and grocery Shopping on Fridays, although she went earlier than usual last Friday.
The only other thing is of the few people's income taxes that Mrs Bear does for old clients, she's trying to do them as safe as possible & get them out of here before too long.

I'll be glad when it's all over.

Bear

Our whole Town is all Preppers.

Wife and I have bugged out twice in the last 4 years from wild fires.
Our Dam almost broke and the whole town Evaced a couple of years back.
Then last there was the Paradise fire.
If we weren't bugging out we were taking in refugees.

We ( Wife & I ) are ready to evac or shelter in place.

Went on a grocery run day before yesterday and wore my Camo N95 mask.
Got a lot of looks !
Some people looked at me with shock like they are still coming to grips with the situation.
I got a lot of nods of acceptance.
I even got looks of appreciation... keeping other people safe as well as myself.

I know that it might have been premature in terms of cases in the area but I wanted to condition others to be safe.

Yesterday wife & I went on a major cleaning regime throughout the house.
We are set.

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it agrees with yours or not, but what we all need to agree upon is the refraining of name calling or encouragement of leaving our community if their ideas, misplaced or not do not coincide with your ideals. Simply skim over as Jake said and move on to next post

Bunny and I made a pact last week to limit store runs to once a week and on off hours and late night to avoid crowds. We’re well stocked and good to go for a while. Hunker down and ride it out. Then she gets a call from the Costco in Knoxville to report for work. Lord protect her and keep her register free from the virus. Amen.

Went to our local Safeway market for a couple items, but when I saw the amount of people standing in lines with overly stuffed carts, I walked out. Not THAT important. I have two freezers full of fish to keep us fed and have plenty of backside wipes.

Reactions: Will Squared
Bunny and I made a pact last week to limit store runs to once a week and on off hours and late night to avoid crowds. We’re well stocked and good to go for a while. Hunker down and ride it out. Then she gets a call from the Costco in Knoxville to report for work. Lord protect her and keep her register free from the virus. Amen.
You just touched on the reality for many people. My company has almost everyone working from home. Unfortunately my job requires me to be there. I’d take early retirement but I can’t get Medicare until 65. I feel sorry for the people who’s job require a lot of exposure to other people, such as retail and food service. You have to work.

I too have limited my trips to the store and avoiding peak times.

We ( Wife & I ) are ready to evac or shelter in place. Went on a grocery run day before yesterday and wore my Camo N95 mask.
Got a lot of looks ! Some people looked at me with shock like they are still coming to grips with the situation. I got a lot of nods of acceptance. I even got looks of appreciation... keeping other people safe as well as myself. I know that it might have been premature in terms of cases in the area but I wanted to condition others to be safe. Yesterday wife & I went on a major cleaning regime throughout the house. We are set.

I respect what you are doing Will and am all set to jump on board. Next week I'm bringing my Lance cabover camper home from storage to keep it loaded onto my truck and ready to go, the boat is set to go already. We're tossing around the idea of trying to find a place that's warm enough to spend a week or two fishing, with 2 Honda 2000's and gas cans I can pretty much camp in the middle of nowhere and be pretty comfortable. With no sports on TV it's coming about that our house has never been so clean, every cloud has a silver lining! I marked on the morning of the 11th that reported Covid-19 cases in the US had just passed 1,000, be interesting to see what the number is the morning of the 17th, think we might all be in for a surprise. Our shopping trips have been cut way down, I go at 5am to avoid the crowds, and am ready to take the next step soon. RAY
DSCN1646.JPG

Just as a matter of who we are, we always stay prepared for any emergency.....Here are some of those we just do all the time....just a partial list off the top....

Food
full month supply of fresh type foods, veg, meat, grains and such. 2 months dog food.

72 hours worth of emergency food that can be grabbed and taken in the car....ie the bug out bag...

9 months of long term self stable food, ie sugar, salt, rice, wheat, oats, beans, freezes dryer eggs, milk, a variety of canned items, tuna, chicken, salmon, spam....yes spam!

2 weeks of water at 1 gal per person per day....

Household:
Meds: multiple first aid kits. Advil & Tylenol (need both). Benadryl, large first aid kit stuff like 4 inch wraps and gauzes etc, tourniquet, alcohol, bleach, Alo, burn cream, neosporin, cold meds for different symptoms, ok get drift. Batteries, battery operated radio flash lights. A bug bag with portable stove and pots, water filter, high end space blankets, para cord, small first aid kit....the self protection Bug bag.....I should say TP and all other paper products as well. We also have a stock of all house hold cleaners and soaps.....basically we have extra of all items on hands....we have respirators on hand and face masks as well.

Other: always keep at least 1/2 tank fuel in all cars. Keep water, stable food, shovel, space blanket, tow rope, chains, para cord, first aid kit, tool box, flashlight, fire extinguisher, fire making kit in every car. Always have two full propane tanks at all time. Have 6, keep a stock pile of wood, charcoal tarps and gorilla tape to seal off rooms in the house or roof.....I could go on but have what we need to keep things running and patched up in the worst conditions....

There are many other things we do as well to be prepared....like keeping the trailer stocked with two weeks of stable food and 80 gal of water. But lets just say we stay prepared for the worst events at all times.......why because it may happen and if they do we don’t worry cause we are prepared.

So for those that think wow that’s extreme......let me just share some perspective.....just think if you were to loose your job tomorrow and only had limited funds.....being prepared to live for an extended period of time in a minimal way could make that situation much easier. Or like when we lived in AK the long shore man went on strike. It took 1.5 days before food store shelves where empty and I mean empty. They actually locked their doors. If you didn’t have it you could not get it. It took 10 days before we could buy food of any kind....but we didn’t have even the littlest worry cause we were prepared.....

Self preparedness is personal for every one but for me with a family and friends I do it for them. I NEVER for any reason want to see that look of fear or need in their eyes............

I could go on but you get the point and I will say since we just live this way it’s not a big deal nor do we even have a second thought in our minds what others think....because I know I can take care of my family and friends if I need to so I sleep pretty good and night......

Last edited:
The TP rush I had heard was because lots of people thought it was all imported.
Basic Google search:

The top ten countries for total paper production rank as follows:
  1. China.
  2. United States of America. ...
  3. Japan. ...
  4. Germany. ...
  5. Republic of Korea. ...
  6. Brazil. ...
  7. Finland. ...
  8. Canada. ...
More items...

Jun 27, 2019,

Bunny just called while on break at Costco. They just discontinued all cafe items except hot dogs, WHOLE pizza and drinks. No more slices! All else got pitched. Fountain drinks may be axed as well later.

I'd have thought Russia would be on that list, loads of trees there.

I marked on the morning of the 11th that reported Covid-19 cases in the US had just passed 1,000, be interesting to see what the number is the morning of the 17th, think we might all be in for a surprise.

Here we are just four days later, not good. 3,324 RAY

I'm in the vulnerable group due to COPD/Emphysema and heart disease. I've been doing any necessary shopping at night to avoid crowds and standing in line next to people that may be sick. I walk the dog later also in less traveled areas. I've been washing my hands much more than normal, enough that I dug out some heavy duty lotion that I used at work as they were getting sore. I have a bottle of hand sanitizer in the rig.
I was pretty concerned about it being airborne but the CDC has backed off that and are saying now that its transmitted thru droplets from someone coughing or sneezing. I haven't started wearing a mask but I do have an N99 that I bought mainly for tending to the smoker and if I have to go to the doctors office I'll wear it. I usually avoid population centers, namely Salem (OR) as much as possible during flu season so I think I'll avoid it completely for the time being.

PSA Purell Has added Covid 19 to the list of bugs that their food surface sanitizer will kill in 60 seconds.

Where I live I'm socially distanced as it is. Normally I keep a 3 month supply of foods and necessities on hand with another 2 or 3 of 35 year freeze dried meals. On my own well so water is no issue, generator and plenty of fuel if needed. Home caner and with the abundant garden last year i'm set in that area. Also plenty of popcorn on hand to sit back and watch the hysteria as unfortunate it is that it's come to this. As far as any advice I might have- look up now and than for the sky is falling. And more than one is out there checking their list on how to control the masses one day. good luck all and stay safe.

I fueled my gas tank today and thought about all of the people that have used the keypad and held the fuel nozzle. Fortunately I had some Purell in my coat pocket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky