What pellets do you buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmardock

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Orangevale, CA
I know this topic has been covered before, but oh well...

Pellet grill owners, what kind of pellets do you buy?
Do you notice any real difference between specific wood types or blends?
Where have you found the best deals?

I've had my Rec Tec for about 3 months and have only tried 2 different types of pellets (one blend and one all hickory) and can't say that I notice a ton of difference. I'd like to try different types of wood, but if I wont be able to tell the difference, I'd rather just get whatever I can find the best deal on. Possibly a solution is cheap pellets in the hopper and better pellets in the smoke tube? What do you think?

Jeff

I've tried dozens of brands and species and have done some blind tasting and nobody can tell the difference, other than the fact that 100% hickory tends to produce more smoke flavor. I know folks that keep a bunch of different varieties on hand and swap based on what they are cooking - if they can tell the difference more power to them; my friends and family can't.

As far as Cheap vs better - I use Lumberjack. They are one of the best AND the least expensive pellet I can find. If you like the tube, go for it. I think it adds a campfire flavor.

Reactions: jmardock
If I am grilling, baking, and on the last half of my smoking cooks I use the Pit Boss Comp Blend, its $16 for 40# bag. During the smoke phase of my smokes I use various types of the Camp Chef Pellets, they burn super clean and leave behind little ash, $12 for 20# bag. I am wanting to try the lumberjack but its hard to find them in my area, just found out Dicks Sporting sells them.

Reactions: SonnyE and jmardock
I've used Traeger, PitBoss, B&B and Lumberjack. Like Bregent said, I can't really taste much difference in the first 3 I mentioned because they're all blends, but the Lumberjack 100% Hickory provided a great smoke flavor without it being overwhelming. Luckily, I have a store not far from me that carries a surplus of the 20# lumberjack of all flavors. I think from now on I'm going to run PB Competition Blend for best bang for buck with Lumberjack in my tube. I would like to try LJ in Pecan too, maybe next time. Regardless, my novice taste buds can't pinpoint wood flavors, so i'd rather just care that my food is good.

Reactions: jmardock
How do you store pellets that aren't in the hopper?
I keep my stuff in the bags and just roll them back up and clamp them shut. I haven't had any issues doing so. If humidity becomes an issues, i"ll convert to buckets but its just easier for me to keep them in bags.

PB Comp for much stuff. But I still favor Hickory for my Salmon.
Except, I have about 146 years left.
I only use pellets in my AMNPS.
Oh, and I have my 40# of Pit Boss stored in a large Chemical bucket from pool chlorine, in my garage. Cleaned and aired in the Sunshine, of course.
If you know anybody with a pool, you might score some great storage buckets from them. ;)

I store any pellet that comes in a 20# bag in a 5 gallon bucket. For the 40# bag I use the Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy as it holds the whole 40#s.

+1 on the Kingsford Caddy's love them. I've used only BBQ'ers Delight Pellets in my MAK, never an issue.

I did forget to mention that I mainly look to make sure the wood I am using is 100%, like apple, cherry, hickory, etc. There are quite a few pellets out there that use a filler and only have a % of the actual wood. A lot of people on here like Lumberjack because they clearly say on the bag what you are buying, I would say that is the most common answer you will get when you ask what people use. I have heard of the BBQers delight but havent used them, I have heard they are good pellets as well.

Bottom line, you are looking for a pellet that does not leave a lot of ash, burns and doesn't flame out, and provides you with the flavor you enjoy. More than one mfg's product on the market will do that. Suggest trying the top three and settle in on one.

Reactions: JohnsMyName
I get all of my Pellets & Dust from Todd, at "Amaz-N-Smoker".
Then as soon as I open his plastic bags, I put them right into Plastic Jugs with Screw-on Caps.
I never had any wet or damp from Humidity.

Bear

This is all Dust, but I keep the Pellets in the same type of Jugs:
DSC01239.JPG

100% Hickory from Lumberjack is the only one with any smoke flavor I can taste. I used Pit Boss Hickory yesterday and could taste almost no smoke. I think that one is a 40/60 blend of hickory and maple.

I haven’t had any luck with Competition Blends.

I’m interested in trying Lumberjack Char Hickory.

Reactions: zwiller
I used to use BBQ'ers Delight and they worked very well. I just recently decided to switch to Lumberjack 100% Hickory to try to get more smoke flavor. I store mine in 5gal buckets with gamma seal lids.
20180421_164302.jpg

I found this an interesting read.

http://outdoormancave.com/best-smoker-pellets/

I'm rather new to smoking so I don't have any firm opinions of my own. I'm currently using Cookin Pellets "Perfect Mix" and like it.

That link is to an affiliate site that makes money when you buy through their links. It's formatted nicely and looks impressive. Much of the info is pure bunk, or just obvious common sense.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky