What medium size griddle to buy??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioguy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 22 inch griddle. My nephew in law has a Blackstone 17 inch, I've cooked on it and liked it. Looking to go a little bigger with a small 2 burner one. Should I go with the Blackstone? Looking for a hard lid. Accessories....recommendations please.

RG

Reactions: JLeonard
Really like my 22”. Wish I’d got the table for it before they discontinued it. I have the lid and it’s a must hve in my opinion. I put latches on the lid so I can carry it like a suit case.

CB88B3AA-4C40-4635-8F09-0AA7BFC0320B.jpeg

Blackstone all the way, I have a camp chef and a Blackstone and there is no comparison. You want a hard cover even if you have to go aftermarket. There was a guy on Ebay that made them out of diamond plate in the USA and the quality is very good. I bought that for the CC as I hated using the soft cover. My Blackstone 36 was a "pro" model and came with a hard cover.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Dirtsailor, great idea about the latches. This griddle will be used while we are camping. I have to get the quick connect propane hose to connect to the travel trailer. The Mrs bought a table for the griddle.

Clifish, thanks for the vote looking at 2 burner for $199.....will put it on my watchlist for price sale.

Thanks,
RG

Screenshot 2022-07-22 125336.png

Reactions: sawhorseray
The latches make moving it around way easier. I have the quick connect hose. Works great. We use ours at home and camping. I put it on a rolling tool cart that I can load in and out of my converted cargo trailer camper. Leveling it can be a pain sometimes though as we don’t camp in campgrounds.
674C1585-C9D5-421D-9E56-727DDD284ABC.jpeg

How often will you be using it? My dad got a 17" Blackstone for his camper and he only used it 2-3 times a year so it was always rusty. I told him you have to use Blackstones weekly to keep the rust away!

How often will you be using it? My dad got a 17" Blackstone for his camper and he only used it 2-3 times a year so it was always rusty. I told him you have to use Blackstones weekly to keep the rust away!
You don’t have to use them weekly. Just like cast iron if they are well seasoned and stored properly rust is not an issue.

You don’t have to use them weekly. Just like cast iron if they are well seasoned and stored properly rust is not an issue.
Yeah, dad definitely didn't store his properly, LOL!

There is a company that sells a plastic cover that goes right on the surface to help preserve the seasoning. For the life of me I can't remember the name. I've seen people use trash bags but I think those will leech chemicals.

After cooking clean with a damp towel (while griddle is still hot) after it cools spray some oil (like pam) all over the surface.

Reactions: MJB05615
I'll use it while camping and at home with a 20lb tank. I think it'll get used a few times a month.

RG

Another staunch vote for Blackstone. Mines not going anywhere, stays on my covered patio. Made a top for it with some plywood I had laying around, handles, primed and weather stripped, gets used all year round. RAY
DSCN4006.JPG

Reactions: clifish
I have had a 36" Blackstone for 4-6 years, gave it to my son as I didnt need that much room for me and mamaw, bought a 17' table top and love it, plenty of BTU's , I set it on a piece of paneling on my gas range, turn the vented hood on and fire it up, aint long till foods done, oh and a 6' hose with built in regulator works great.

I agree Blackstone all the way. I've had the 28" that came with legs and a side table included. Love it, looked at the 22, but it's a little small for me. Though it's only 2 of us mostly, it's the perfect size. I also got one of those Diamondplate hard covers from that guy on Ebay, and it's a perfect fit. I keep a soft blackstone on it when not in use as well as the hard cover.

I have a blackstone tailgater first for both camping and home use and quickly realized for home use the griddle was smallish. I have the blackstone pro 36” I think at home now and it’s room galore. Comes in handy. However, a 22 or similar is good room. If you have at least a two burner one that’s the way to go. I’m a fan of “dual zone” cooking. I love the tailgater for camping but I may upsize now that there’s more mouths to feed in camp 😁

I have the Blackstone Adventure ready 22” and it came with a stand. The stand is functional but not quite as stable as I would like. I bought mine at Walmart and use it several times a month.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky