What makes a good BBQ video?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ExclusiveBBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just uploaded my first BBQ video to YouTube and whilst I didn't invest anything more than my time in the production value, I did want to try my best to make something that people wanted to watch and would be useful. Whether I ticked those boxes, only time will tell, but it got me thinking... What makes a good BBQ video?

I watch a lot of videos on YouTube and it seems to be a combination of:

1. Personality - if you don't resonate with the person you're watching, it can be quite difficult to stay engaged
2. Production quality - bad camera skills make it hard to watch videos as opposed to clear, well-lit videos that are really helpful
3. Content - It doesn't matter if you're a skilled cook, if I'm not getting the information in an easy-to-listen/watch format then I probably won't watch the video until the end

So what do you think makes a good BBQ video?

Good video editing and not a lot of extra information. I have turned off videos that were doing instruction and then the guy went into a 2 minute dissertation about his dog. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit... ;)

Reactions: ExclusiveBBQ
Good video editing and not a lot of extra information. I have turned off videos that were doing instruction and then the guy went into a 2 minute dissertation about his dog. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit... ;)

From what I can see, the 'magic formula' for an engaging video does seem to be keeping it minimal and informative. Perhaps my rambling vlog-style videos need to die an early death. :emoji_laughing:

I found your video on youtube for the beef rib cook. You did a pretty good job of video editing. I also liked your narration style of audio. I don't like fumbling, bumbling, live on the fly narration.

The vlog style is okay for more informal videos, like your impression of a piece of equipment, cooking style, or personal experiences.

I agree with BandColl that if you are doing an informative video, you need to be concise. I liked your additions of ways that you failed as well. I learn as much or more from failures as I do from successes.

My $0.02...

Looking forward to your next video.

Also, nice shout out to smokingmeatfourms on your vid.

JC :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I have to agree with all of the above.
Keep it concrete and concise.
No off topic rambling.
And, for goodness sake, no blaring music that drowns out the narration.

Reactions: JC in GB
Hi Christopher,
I haven't seen yours yet, but I can tell you my biggest pet peeves on YouTubes.
SOUND!!!
Anything I can't stand is not being able to understand the speaker.
I had a little too much Artillery around my ears about 50 years ago, and my ears don't work too great these days.
It's mostly higher pitches I have trouble with, so it's mainly women & kids that I have the biggest problem hearing.
Adding to that misery is some people put background music in & play it louder than the talking!!!

Bear

Nice job on the first vid. I like the voiceover as is gives you a chance to think about what to say rather than just rambling on as you cook.

Plan ahead and be prepared. Make a list of the info you want to tell them. You don't have time to think what's next? Unless you want to make hundreds of Edits. Follow a format you like. Teaching I would...Briefly Tell them what you are going to talk about. Tell them, step by step, FOLLOWING YOUR PREPARED TALKING POINTS. Finally, Tell them what the 2 or 3 most important steps to remember are. A short recap. Most important to NO VERBAL PAUSES! Being prepared means no, Ummm, Sooo, Uhhh, No what I mean? Etc. This lends credibility and shows, you know what you are talking about...JJ

Plan ahead and be prepared. Make a list of the info you want to tell them. You don't have time to think what's next? Unless you want to make hundreds of Edits. Follow a format you like. Teaching I would...Briefly Tell them what you are going to talk about. Tell them, step by step, FOLLOWING YOUR PREPARED TALKING POINTS. Finally, Tell them what the 2 or 3 most important steps to remember are. A short recap. Most important to NO VERBAL PAUSES! Being prepared means no, Ummm, Sooo, Uhhh, No what I mean? Etc. This lends credibility and shows, you know what you are talking about...JJ
I'm in total agreement. I would get mean looks from my public speaking teachers for doing verbal pauses. I would like to add that there will be people that have never smoked meat before and have no idea where to start. Show them your equipment, fuel source, how to light it, etc. As you can probably tell, most of us have watched more BBQing videos than we care to admit. All the advice so far is spot on in my opinion. I watched your video as well. Good Job!

I have never watched very many videos for BBQ. Probably only 3 or 4. Best one I saw was probably an Aaron Franklin one on brisket. Got to agree with what people on here have said so far. I might add to Bear's comment though about sound. Think what he said was great but also making sure whoever does the video is speaking clearly and not mumbling makes a huge difference as well. One of the few I saw the guy was varying his volume and tone of voice so much it was horrible.

If you use Acronyms, give the extended name right after. " Smoke Pork Butts to an IT, internal temperature, of 205°F. "...JJ

I'm in total agreement. I would get mean looks from my public speaking teachers for doing verbal pauses. I would like to add that there will be people that have never smoked meat before and have no idea where to start. Show them your equipment, fuel source, how to light it, etc. As you can probably tell, most of us have watched more BBQing videos than we care to admit. All the advice so far is spot on in my opinion. I watched your video as well. Good Job!

I don't think that's allowed on YouTube!!!:emoji_wink:

Bear

Reactions: bbqbrett
Thank you to everyone who responded, it really does mean a lot. I took a lot of the advice and implemented some of it (if I tried to do it all, the video would be coming out in 2020 :emoji_laughing:) but here it is for anyone who's interested. I hope future videos will continue to improve and I'll definitely be coming back here for solid information.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I have to agree with the others on sound. I think good quality sound is more important than good quality video. So often people will have fancy cameras and the cheapest microphone available.

Thank you to everyone who responded, it really does mean a lot. I took a lot of the advice and implemented some of it (if I tried to do it all, the video would be coming out in 2020 :emoji_laughing:) but here it is for anyone who's interested. I hope future videos will continue to improve and I'll definitely be coming back here for solid information.

Thanks again.

Excellent !!
I have to tell you, Christopher----You are about the easiest I ever listened to from the UK. I have a terrible problem with many Brits on YouTube.
I usually watch and listen to a YouTube from the UK for about 15 seconds before I realize I'm not going to understand enough to get much out of the video.
Most of them I just stop & move on to the next video.
However I understood every word you said on this Video.
Like.

Great Job!!!

Bear

Last edited:
I think a lot has to to with getting prepared ahead of time. Know what your going to do, plan ahead, and most important, start writing a rough draft of a script. No-one wants to see a video full of umms...ahhhs...errrr....you get the idea.

I'd be kinda hard to do with BBQ, because as we all know....meat wants to do whatever the hell it wants to do.

Also, i think it takes 2 people to film properly, and the guy behind the camera should have some skills in order to film it properly. I can't tell you how many YouTube videos their are where the camera is all over the place. It makes The Blare Witch Project film green with envy.

Practice ahead of time, refine your script, and when you think you've got it right, start filming. If your showing how to trim a brisket....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....MAKE SURE YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT BEING TRIMMED !! Don't show your hands all over it, then it's magically done.

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for all the feedback again.

I uploaded a few videos recently with the feedback in mind- I think I need to ensure that I'm not trying to hard to be informative as it's important for people to know that I'm still new. :)

Even still, I tried to limit the talking to only relevant information and also tried to tell a story with it all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky