What kind of wood to use when smoking chicken? Any tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Some smokers are difficult or impossible to get to high temps.

Many people like to flash cook their birds on a hot grill at the end to crisp up the skin.  Works best with a really hot indirect heat and the lid on.

A hot oven would do the trick as well.

Good luck and good smoking.
Thanks again for the reply.

I think my smoker is going to be one of those that is impossible to get a high temp on.  I also realize now after only 1 smoke that I should have bought this one.  The problem I found was refulling the FB.  I have to slide the charcoal box out to refill it.  It's a pain and If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought something where I can lift a lid then drop coals into it without distrubing the coal box.  (I don't know the technical name for the where the coals go.  Someone please correct me.

I use hickory and cherry or apple. Using a hardwood with fruit

tree wood will yield some good flavors. I use the hickory & cherry 

when doing turkey on the water smoker! Be sure to prepare your

rub to accomodate the two flavors. 

I'd like to build on a couple things people have brought up. First, brine chicken and then match your wood to the brine (I also like to spatchcock the bird if I'm smoking it mostly whole (not pieces). However, to be honest, I use cherry, apple or pecan for chicken most of the time because I often brine in salted water or beer. However, if I've brined and am brushing it in anything with flavers that leans toward citrus like Caribbean, some Mexican, etc recipes (and others), then I use use orange wood. 

I also suggest you experiment and see what you, your family and your friends like because, IMO, there is no RIGHT answer to what wood is best but there are some wrong ones (pine, processed wood, etc).

I use a lot of cherry, apple and pecan on most light meats like chicken, pork etc. For beef, I tend to use more oak or pecan. If you use mesquite be careful, it can get pretty strong if you don't like a strong flavor or aren't careful but it can be great on beef when done well.

All of the above are my opinion, there of lots of guys on here with FAAAAARRRRR more experience than me (like Chef Willie, Chef Jimmie, Bear and a bunch of others).

Cheers,

Scott

Hampton, VA

Hi everyone, reviving this thread from 2014.  Any suggestions on how long to smoke a whole chicken at 325 on a gas smoker?   

Going to give this a shot on new years day and would appreciate any feedback...

Thanks,

Scott

Hi everyone, reviving this thread from 2014.  Any suggestions on how long to smoke a whole chicken at 325 on a gas smoker?   

Going to give this a shot on new years day and would appreciate any feedback...

Thanks,

Scott
I love Pecan for Chicken I cook by temp I like mine a little more done. 175 in the breast for mine.

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky