• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What kind of wood does everyone like and where can it be found

jw6964

Joined Mar 15, 2012
I have been going to a store in south Charlotte I think it's called Today's outdoor living. I really like apple wood but can't find it in chunks.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Try an apple orchard. Sometimes they have some nice pieces from their trimmings.

gibsonsmoke

Joined Jun 4, 2012
Blackhawk/ACE Hardware store in south charlotte at the Park Road Shopping Center has Apple wood chunks Hickory, Mesquite ect also all available in chips

smokinbrew

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 23, 2012
Well, I have some hickory trees in my backyard.... Town and Country- formerly Ace, has a good selection of wood chips and chunks. As for me, I mostly use hickory, sometimes mesquite, but I find it over powering on some recipes. Apple is a good light smoke. I use it a lot with turkey.

wes w

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 31, 2012
I guess there are advantages to living in the Mtns.  I use a lot of hickory and oak.    I have a friend who allows me to cut what I need.  I cut 2 good sized trees of each  a year to let them cure for the next year.

Personally, I can't tell that much difference in wood. 

Happy New Year!

moose22dog

Joined Apr 9, 2014
Back in PA I had apple and peach wood at will, used them all the time. My new favorite wood down here is by far pecan. Love they way it smells in the the fireplace too!! I'm always keeping an eye out for it when driving around. Look on craigslist sometimes you can find free hard/fruit wood !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.