What kind of smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

msbackwoods

Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Looking to open a deer processing shop, but there are so many options for smokers.  Looking for your opinions about what you recommend or personally use.  

I like the models with trucks, but the pricing I've been quoted for basic models were $35,000-$80,000.   This seems extremely high to me for a basic commercial smoker. 

Anything you can tell us about your operations would be appreciated.    (Mixers, grinders, sealers, etc.)

As a Chef I can tell you that it isn't cheap to go into the food business no matter what branch your doing. Everything has to be NSF certified.  I would certainly check your local restrictions to see what you need to do to be legit. You might be able to get away with a unit that is not so pricey. The issue then becomes who is going to run the smoker and how much supervision is it going to take. Then start scouring your area for used restaurant equipment, you would be amazed at what you might find for a third of the price of new.

Are you planning on specializing in smoked venison? As with any business, you'll need lots of equipment and some you'll use often, other pieces you won't.  You'll have to weight out how much $$ to spend on each. I'd spend more on items you'll use daily and try and spend less on the not so often used items. But as woodscomp said, none will be cheap.

Do lots of research and work out a good solid business plan.

Good luck.

I would check into the fast eddy models from cookshack. FEC500 or 750 go for about 14 to 18 k .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky