What kind of bread for brisket sammies?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
I am getting ready to do a brisket for some old friends on New Years Eve and I thought I would put out some bread for those who would like to make sammies. What kind of bread do you recommend for the sammies?

I don't want something as mundane as hamburger rolls. I want something that will hold up to a good amount of finishing sauce on the bread.

Sourdough holds up really well and is a great offset taste to some sharp cheddar that you could use to top that meat.  It also soaks up a ton of juice! 

Get a good onion roll and use some smoked cheese on it or bake some sourdough onion cheese rolls that will rock that sammie

Any nice crusty dinner roll works in my opinion.  It's simply a vessel for what's inside.  Brisket, smoked cheddar, and some Garlic mayo is tough to beat!

I use the fresh baked hoagie rolls from Albertson's deli (or any bakery).

Last edited:
Reactions: farwest
somebody above hit the nail on the head..Ciabatta rolls/buns are a harder, denser bread   that do not get soggy and flimsy when putting juicy meat on them...they hold up well..and taste great.

my recommendation as well would be the Ciabatta roll

some good crunchy french bread w/ a side of au jus for dipping

Ok, so now I just have to narrow it down between the sourdough, the French bread (or Italian) and the ciabatta. I will definitely have some sharp cheddar and some pepper jack on hand to add to the sammies.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Simple White(Mrs.Baird's in Texas), with Onion,Dill Pickle and a little sauce
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky