What is your process for smoking racks of short ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomad_archer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Brickerville, PA
So I have 2 racks of beef short ribs I'm planning on doing on the WSM this weekend. Only one problem I have no idea how to prep, smoke (temp), and general process for cooking them. I've seen some beauties posted here. So what is everyone's process for doing beef short ribs?

Rack 1
20200131_132322.jpg

Rack 2
20200131_173624.jpg

I used a kettle to do some
Richie

Reactions: jcam222
The rack I got that looks like yours, I cut into quarters (so two bone segments). I plan on doing two of them this weekend (first time as well). My understanding is to basically treat it like a brisket. I'm planning on doing a rub of Salt, Pepper, and Garlic powder, and throw it into hickory smoke for 6-8 hours at about 250 until IT hits about 200 and probe can go through the membrane with no problems. Some people wrap with butcher paper, some don't. Not sure what I'm going to do yet on that one.

Also, don't remove the membrane on the backside. My understanding is that the ribs will fall apart if you do.

This seems simple enough. Any idea on a rough cook time? I know to cook to temp just curious if this is a 3-4 hour cook or 8-10 hour adventure.

So I have 2 racks of beef short ribs I'm planning on doing on the WSM this weekend. Only one problem I have no idea how to prep, smoke (temp), and general process for cooking them. I've seen some beauties posted here. So what is everyone's process for doing beef short ribs?

I make any kind of Beef Ribs like the "Step by Step" Below:
Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

Everything is included, like Prepping, Temp, Time, etc.
IMG_0030.jpg

Bear

Last edited:
They are a long cook and because I start with a 250° pit temp, mine take at least 8 hours. Prep is minimal, trim off any tags that might burn and no need to remove the membrane. Really no reason to season the bone side, but I will add some cracked pepper. Season the meat with what ever suits you, but at least salt and pepper. If you want to use a mustard slather, try thinning it out with pickle juice. I smoke mine bone down the entire time, even for the wrap step. After 2 hours I'll spray them a couple of times before wrapping. For reference, this rack is on a 1/4 sheet pan, so the bones are about 10" long.

After 4 or 5 hours I'll get the color I want, and the bark is set... the internal might be in the 160°'s. And I'm hardly getting any pull-back.
1qzIQbq.jpg

Here is a close-up right before wrapping
jSOF5IN.jpg

The wrapped step will take 4 or 5 hours, and you want to pay attention to both tenderness and pull-back. Open the pouch after 2 or 3 hours to get an idea how they are doing. Many people get anxious and pull them too early, but be mindful that they take a long time to tender up. Don't use internal temp as a guide for doneness, you want to cook them tender by feel (probing) , just like you would a brisket or pork butt. Think of them as a brisket point an a stick. Some people take them to an almost shredable state, I don't go quite that far but I've had the bones fall off when slicing.
pwtreli.jpg

I rest mine at least 2 hours in a hot box, longer if I can get away with it. If you slice too early you will loose valuable juice.
R7MVfl0.jpg

iZ5sGFJ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nomad_archer
Those look awesome. I cook brisket to an IT of around 200 before I start probing for doneness. Would a similar process apply here?

Sure, that would work fine, or even 190° because you need a baseline feel so you can tell how much the tenderness is improving over time. My point of not using internal temps as the gospel is based on the fact there is no magic number and that meats perform differently from both species to species, but cut to cut. For example, one brisket might tender up by the time it reaches 202°, and another one might have to remain at 202° or 203° for an hour or longer before it gets tender. This sounds goofy but two things that will simulate the probe feel for tenderness are a cup of Jell-O, or room temperature peanut butter. And, you want to take note of how the probe feels going in and coming back out or the meat.

Them are going to be real good!!!

I had a hell of a time getting the membrane off mine. Mine came out great but I want to get the membrane off better next time.

I have one rack resting the other has hung up at 185 degrees. I'm giving it a little bit longer. If I pick it up and it feels like it's falling apart in the butchers paper I'm going to pull them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky