What is your first smoke on a new smoker? (Now with Q-view!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmm5350

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
North East Pennsylvania
So I am so excited for Christmas to finally get a WSM and I keep trying to figure out what I want to do first!  I wanted to do a brisket but I decided against it until I learn the smoker a little better.  So I want to ask everyone else.  After you do a couple burns to season in the smoker what do you throw on it to really dial it in and get the feel of it?  

I think I did pulled pork when I first built my UDS. I think you will find that Weber to be foolproof from everything I have heard on here. I have two Weber kettles and still love smoking smaller stuff in them as they are so consistently awesome. Pork shoulder is very forgiving and extremely hard to screw up. That is my advice. Happy smoking! Oh I should also plug Jeff's rub and BBQ sauce recipes. WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT! and keeps this great recourse kicking. What size are you getting? I almost always throw some of these on with my butt too.

I'm getting the 22.5" model.  I do a lot of food at a time usually.  Sometimes I'll do a weeks worth of food on Sunday.  Down the road I'll be getting a 14.5" for just me and my fiance.   

About 2 hours into your first seasoning session throw a chicken on, then do a butt the second time.

I would do ribs, either St Louis style ribs in the good old 3 -2-1 method or Baby Back doing the 2 – 2 -1 method  Either way the first digit is 225 degrees full smoke, the second is foiled,  225, no smoke( unless you have other things in that need the smoke) and the last digit is in the smoker, no foil, give them time to dry out then apply your BBQ or Mop sauce to finish, in that last hour.

I've already been devising plans to get it from my Fiance early.  I tried to tell her I needed to get it seasoned properly so I can make a Christmas dinner.  I told her the free time I have until I get it is bad for my health.  I wouldn't be interrupting her TV shows if I was outside cooking, yet to no avail.  The cheap boxer store smoker I have currently can't match up to the brutally cold PA winters.  So from now until Christmas I have nothing to use =[. 

Hello.  Did you try that old chestnut about how it is not healthy for a man to be brought that far and not then allowed to smoke somethin?  
ROTF.gif
  Smoke a chicke.  Almost a no brainer and you can concentrate on controling the temps.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Glad to see this thread.  I'm in the same boat, except I'm getting the parts to make a mini WSM.  I can hardly wait.  The only thing keeping me sane is that I'm so busy this time of year that it gets pushed out of mind.

5350, hello. Good idea on the not doing a Brisket. You'd give up before it was done , save it for a long Summer's day. IMHO I'd start with chicken or a nice Chuck Roast or Pork Butt. All easy and good beginner's choices. Don't Jade yourself from the start , learn your Smoker first.

Just sayin', have fun and as always. . .

5350, hello. Good idea on the not doing a Brisket. You'd give up before it was done , save it for a long Summer's day. IMHO I'd start with chicken or a nice Chuck Roast or Pork Butt. All easy and good beginner's choices. Don't Jade yourself from the start , learn your Smoker first.

Just sayin', have fun and as always. . .
I know what you are getting at but I've built the optimal smoking arena!  I've take an old shed, insulated it, added water and electricity and some power vents to clear the smoke and it's the perfect all weather room to use my smoker.  Im pretty sure I could do a brisket anytime of the year.  I just want to learn the new smoker a bit better.  

Chicken or pork. Pieces of chicken if they're cheaper (leg quarters are regularly 59 cents a pound around here). First couple runs, do something cheap; that way if it doesn't turn out well, you haven't killed $40 or more worth of meat. Once you get to know your setup and how it runs, move on to bigger things. Just my opinion. :)

Good luck, and have fun!!!

I always advise the same with this question.  Spatchcock chicken, or chicken leg quarters and maybe some burgers.  I know!  I know!  You have been reading for weeks, now have your smoker, you are ready to get started.  The neighbours’ cat is in danger of being smoked and this idiot says chicken legs and burgers??  WHAT??  The first few smokes are about learning to control temps in YOUR smoker.  Each one can be different.  If that first smoke burns, the dog gets a good meal.  If it ain’t done, finish it in the oven.  Little money lost and with luck you still get a good meal.  TEMP CONTROL!! IS THE KEY!!  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

No reason you can't still learn temp control with the neighbors cat. I'm sure the search function will get you a recipe or two. And I can't imagine the dog wouldn't enjoy some good ol' cat meat......cooked right or not!

Last edited:
icon_rolleyes.gif
  Well Gee, Actually I have no more cats roaming the neighbourhood, they seem to have all run away from home. I do have a couple fat dogs.  Just sayin.  Smoke 'em if ya got 'em ( military term ).

Danny

Last edited:
Chicken is the easiest & probably cheapest meat to use to dial in the smoker. You could probably try the neighbours cat, but I find that they're hard to catch. Get the other neighbours dog, they're dumber, and easier than cats to catch. Only thing though, my cats don't like dog meat, they think it tastes like crap if you overcook it. Best bet, just use chicken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky