What is the right thing to do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Martin, I think i will have to retract my statement about Emeril Lagasse as i cannot locate the book, My wife has, over 25 years, amassed a cookbook collection of 500 to 600 cookbooks that are stored on 6 bookcases located in three different rooms with not much of a sorting method. Finding any one book is more a matter of luck than anything else. I will continue to search.
My apologies....Paul
I asked because Emeril Lagasse and his Essence were featured in the book "Cooking with Master Chefs" which was written by Julia, so there may be some confusion.

~Martin
Yes, I have the same book with a book mark on page #27. No harm intended. My CRS must be as bad as the wife insists it is.   
Oops.gif

I use recipes for inspiration all the time that I find on the net. I do not trust most published recipes for their accuracy. I have had some very bad experiences with some very respectable sources not working at all. So I will tweak them to fit what I need.... I figure if I was meant to create the wheel, I would have been born a very long time ago. I do feel there is a fine line between coping a recipe and using one for inspiration. I personally would say to give credit where credit is due. If a recipe has been posted on the Internet, then it is fair game for re-post with proper credit. If it has only been put into print and not posted, then buy the book....... just my $.02

If you posted Jeff's "Rib Rub" and Jeff's "Barbeque Sauce" recipes on this web site, do you think he might want to have a word or two with you about your posting?  
781.gif
pot.gif
I purchased the rub & sauce recipes from Jeff mainly to support the site and my curiosity. It's good stuff! (IMO)

What I'm reading is that it would be OK for me or anyone else that paid for the recipes to post them here (or anywhere on the net) as long as I give credit? Or, if I add a pinch of something to the recipe that may or may not have an effect on the product, I can call it JP61's whatever sauce and feel free to post it? That just doesn't sound right to me and no I don't think he'd like that very much with good reason.

Emeril's Essence is just his variation on a combination of ingredients predating his birth by a hundred or more years. So he " Borrowed " it from somebody as well, just as Tony Chachere and Paul Prudhomme with their Cajun/Creole Seasoning. Three famous Chef's making money recombining a handful of the same ingredients. 

My Foiling Juice is 100% Original but as I posted, with it's introduction, was inspired by Johnny Triggs ingredients used when foiling Ribs. My nod to Mr. Trigg was not necessary at all but a polite thing to do...JJ

I use recipes for inspiration all the time that I find on the net. I do not trust most published recipes for their accuracy. I have had some very bad experiences with some very respectable sources not working at all. So I will tweak them to fit what I need.... I figure if I was meant to create the wheel, I would have been born a very long time ago. I do feel there is a fine line between coping a recipe and using one for inspiration. I personally would say to give credit where credit is due. If a recipe has been posted on the Internet, then it is fair game for re-post with proper credit. If it has only been put into print and not posted, then buy the book....... just my $.02
I am being misunderstood by most it seems. I was referring to posting recipes from books (old school type  that are sold for a profit)  to the WWW.

Last edited:
I was referring to posting recipes from books (old school type)
 that are sold for a profit  to the WWW.

It's kind of complicated, technically recipes are not copyrightable, but collections of recipes are.
Even so, it's considered unethical to post a recipe from a book without permission and attribution.

~Martin

Last edited:
Oooo copyright laws.

If you guys figure it out get in touch with Madonna, Metallica, the Senate who tried to pass SOPA (just to mention a few), let them all know how you plan on doing it.

It's kind of complicated, technically recipes are not copyrightable, but collections of recipes are.
Even so, it's considered unethical to post a recipe from a book without permission and attribution.

~Martin
That's a key word that has been missing (or I missed) so far in this discussion. Wonder how often permission is requested?

Anyhow, think I caused enough trouble for one day. Thank you all for your input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky