What is the mailbox mod?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Found some pics of my mailbox mod to my MES40. Same can be done with the MES40.

Aluminum box and tubing.
IMG_0850.JPG

MB, earning it's keep, smoking fish
IMG_0859.JPG

Since the OP has a tube, here's a pic that I've done with a couple of my tubes so I could use it in the mailbox. Made this steel rod tube holder that raises the tube up off the floor of the mailbox and prevents it from rolling around.

Also note that for such applications, I would not fill the tube full. Too much smoke. Instead, fill the tube half way, turn it horizontally and shake it left to right vigorously keep one of your hands covering the tube's main opening. Perfecto!!

Oops, just realized the OP has a square tube. No concerns about it rolling around but would still be nice to make a support stand that will raise it off the floor of the mailbox for air circulation. I would also hold from filling it up as I mentioned above.

IMG_1266.JPG

Now, here's a link to a recent thread I did attaching a small mailbox to a MES30. I use a tray in this small mailbox. Don't know if a square tube would fit, especially if you add a support stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: campfirestu
Cmayna, i like the idea of a stand for the tube. Ive wondered if I could fill it half way and not jam pack it full. I will do that for sure. I was tempted to leave the door cracked it put out so much smoke! I wanted Smokey cheese but gosh it was really smokey!

Responding to an old post here...

you don't necessarily need a large pipe going into your smoker.

I use 3/4'' pipe and a small venturi pump to transfer the smoke from the smoke box into the smoker. The variable (fish tank) air pump is how I regulate the smoke.

This is how store-bought smoke generators work.

3/4'' step drill vs a 3'' hole saw made my choice easy.

Plus the 25 buck air pump has a knob on it that lets me control the smoke flow.

At the end of the day do what works for you

Happy Smoking...Campfirestu

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky