What is the mailbox mod?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fish'nSmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
Tulsa, OK
Is it for a pellet tube or a smoker? Ive heard to do it but no one told me what it is! I asked and no reply so someone please educate me!

Tray smoker goes in the mail box. Most of the ones people use can use pellets or dust.

The mailbox mod is a mailbox that you add to your smoker. Set amnps in mail box with pellets in it. Have to cut hole in smoker and use pipe to connect the two. Something like 3 inch pipe, some use flexible dryer pipe (aluminum not plastic). Keeps heat out of main smoker and helps clean up the smoke. Search for mailbox mod on here. Some smokers can't get enough air to keep amnps lit.

Ryan

Tray smoker goes in the mail box. Most of the ones people use can use pellets or dust.
Like you use a literal mailbox inside the smoker, then a tray inside the mailbox? Ive got a square tube and not a tray so not sure sawdust would stay inside it.

The mailbox mod is a mailbox that you add to your smoker. Set amnps in mail box with pellets in it. Have to cut hole in smoker and use pipe to connect the two. Something like 3 inch pipe, some use flexible dryer pipe (aluminum not plastic). Keeps heat out of main smoker and helps clean up the smoke. Search for mailbox mod on here. Some smokers can't get enough air to keep amnps lit.

Ryan
Oohhh. Gotcha. Ive got a MES that's insulated so im not cutting a hole just to smoke cheese! I know Masterbuilt makes an offset cold smoker attachment for like $50. May consider that some day.

Oohhh. Gotcha. Ive got a MES that's insulated so im not cutting a hole just to smoke cheese! I know Masterbuilt makes an offset cold smoker attachment for like $50. May consider that some day.
Many mes owners do the mailbox mod and use it for all their smoking (well electric mes owners at least, not sure about propane mes owners) since you can get several hours of smoke from the amnps tray and not mes with adding wood chips all the time. Depending on which mes you have. I have a cheap analog 30 mes, but I believe Bearcarver Bearcarver has a mes 40 and uses his amnps in his smoker without an issue. Check out his step by steps in his signature , it is worthwhile!

Ryan

Thanks for the info! Ive got a MES 30 Digital. I got about 4 hours of smoke out of the tube and an hour out of the chips through the tray dispenser so I plan on using both for different smokes. I dont know enough about mixing different woods and how it will effect the taste so I want to stay consistent. I have alot of learning to do.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Thanks for the info! Ive got a MES 30 Digital. I got about 4 hours of smoke out of the tube and an hour out of the chips through the tray dispenser so I plan on using both for different smokes. I dont know enough about mixing different woods and how it will effect the taste so I want to stay consistent. I have alot of learning to do.
Don't worry , we have all been there! You have to find what works best for you. I've been here awhile and am still learning! But enjoying it all the while.

Ryan

Reactions: campfirestu
Don't worry , we have all been there! You have to find what works best for you. I've been here awhile and am still learning! But enjoying it all the while.

Ryan
I went to bearcarvers profile and didn't see anything about a step by step.

Thanks, maybe one day I'll be able to give someone new advice!

Fish'nSmoke Fish'nSmoke Here ya go. Bearcarver is my go to for ideas and answers. He turns some great stuff out of his 'lectric.

And when you go to this link you can click the ribbon looking thing in the dark bar and it will bookmark it for you. Bookmarks can be seen by clicking the gear looking thing in the top right next to your name.
Jim

Reactions: Fish'nSmoke
Here's mine .
mes3.jpg

Reactions: GATOR240
Welcome to the forum! If I'm reading your post right, there is no need to cut an additional hole into your smoker to use a mailbox mod, you justneed remove your chip tray and use that opening. I have a MES 30 also and use 3" flexible aluminum duct with a coupler. I'll try to find better detailed pictures than this one...........

IMG_0838.JPG

Last edited:
Some people have luck burning the tray inside the mes but many of us dont , you could try it inside and see if it works for you.
I dont actually have a tray, I have a tube. But reading and seeing these gives me some good ideas. Im going to go through my garage and see what i have and can rig up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky