What is a simple or ordinary thing that you can't do well.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can’t flip an egg without the likelihood of it breaking, especially in a pan. I need a big ass griddle with a lot of elbow room.

Can’t snap my fingers worth a damn either.

Plumbing! I hate plumbing repairs. I can never get it to NOT LEAK the first time, always have to do it over...multiple times sometimes...
This ^
I installed a new garbage disposal Saturday night. It's not even really plumbing. A clamp holds the dishwasher drain hose on and a little no-glue connection is where the drain comes out of the disposal. I wired it up and started it up - no problem. No leak even. I made it a point to tell my lady that it was probably the first ever plumbing job I'd ever done that didn't leak.

About an hour later I start the dishwasher. We settle in to watch a movie together and she falls asleep maybe 15 minutes into it. I watch maybe half of the movie and go check for leaks.

No leaks. The dishwasher is also not draining. I check google, it say's there is a little plug that has to be knocked out of the disposal and that I forgot to knock said plug out.

Google is correct. I unscrew the clamp and I'm over here whamming on a screwdriver with a pair of pliers because I'm too fat and lazy to go get a hammer. Had I got up and gotten the hammer I MIGHT have averted catastrophe.

Probably not - but just maybe.....

After about 15 whams with the pliers, I hear my dishwasher pump start just a split second before 140ish degree water starts blowing out of the drain hose.

My dishwasher emptied roughly 2 gallons of damn hot and dirty water in approximately 15 seconds. It deflected off of me and ended up under the counter and all over the floor.

About 3 taps later - the plug gives and I get the hose connected back up about 15 seconds later.

The hammer was 10 seconds farther away than the pliers. I might have beat the pump had I spent the extra 20 seconds and only had to wham it once or twice.

PSA - if you ever install a new garbage disposal and you forget to tap out that plug - kill the power to the dishwasher when you go to correct your boo-boo. It will absolutely jack up your day.

I also cannot cut a straight line with a skilsaw.

Use parboiled white rice. It's white rice for people who cannot cook white rice. Basmati is also pretty easy, as is jasmine.

I check google, it say's there is a little plug that has to be knocked out of the disposal and that I forgot to knock said plug out.
You have no idea how often this happens to people :emoji_wink: Don't feel slighted. On the bright side, it's an oversight you'll only make once.

Robert

That's really odd. When we cook rice like that, nothing sticks to the pot at all.
May I humbly suggest you switch to macaroni. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Gary
I have switched.. Now I only use short grain Carolina gold or arborio rice for my dishes. It suits me fine because I like my rice risotto style. Even my new found jambalaya creation is done like risotto and it comes out great!
No leaks. The dishwasher is also not draining. I check google, it say's there is a little plug that has to be knocked out of the disposal and that I forgot to knock said plug out.
Another think to consider is making a loop in that drain hose between the DW and the disposal. It should be just higher than the disposal inlet at its highest point. This will help keep your disposal from draining into the dishwasher and also create a poor mans p trap in between the two.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I have switched.. Now I only use short grain Carolina gold or arborio rice for my dishes. It suits me fine because I like my rice risotto style. Even my new found jambalaya creation is done like risotto and it comes out great!

Another think to consider is making a loop in that drain hose between the DW and the disposal. It should be just higher than the disposal inlet at its highest point. This will help keep your disposal from draining into the dishwasher and also create a poor mans p trap in between the two.
One other thing...as a former plumber...don't start projects in the evenings, especially on weekends. Things will always go bad if you do! And never ever think...I'll just do this quick, it shouldn't take long!

Ryan

One other thing...as a former plumber...don't start projects in the evenings, especially on weekends. Things will always go bad if you do! And never ever think...I'll just do this quick, it shouldn't take long!

Ryan
... and before you touch that quarter turn valve in a bathroom on the second floor, make sure the water supply is off or your kids know where it's at. Ask my scarred right hand about that lesson.

... and before you touch that quarter turn valve in a bathroom on the second floor, make sure the water supply is off or your kids know where it's at. Ask my scarred right hand about that lesson.
Also, don't trust your boss who is a plumber when you tell him you can do the electrical work in his bathroom remodel...is the power off? Yes! BS! After the second tingle he found the right breaker!

Ryan

I have 2 and in the same boat as you. Tried both claw hammer and Scruggs style and nope lol. One daughter though self taught herself banjo, guitar and piano. Wife plays mandolin. I don't have much talent for most things it seems
I can pick out a few tunes Scruggs style.... Clawhammer is beyond me...

Late to the party on this one but cooking related it’s boil and peel eggs. I have tried all the suggestions and NONE work for me. Salt, cold water, timing, cold eggs , room temp eggs, Instant Pot etc. I still destroy them when peeling. I haven’t tried baking soda yet but dilly expect the same results lol.

Reactions: mosparky
I can not do trim work. I’ve tried and tried.

Something I would like to learn to do is rebuild my 727 transmission in my Scout. Maybe chopsaw chopsaw can help give me a few pointers? If its like trim work forget it.
I can help you with both . Trim work is cleaner .
Been a long time since I had a transmission apart , but the biggest thing is keeping it clean when it goes back together .
I used to get a kick out of some of the International stuff . 4 cyl . V8 block with one bank gutted and blocked off . Lol .

Late to the party on this one but cooking related it’s boil and peel eggs. I have tried all the suggestions and NONE work for me. Salt, cold water, timing, cold eggs , room temp eggs, Instant Pot etc. I still destroy them when peeling. I haven’t tried baking soda yet but dilly expect the same results lol.
jcam222 jcam222 - had the same problem my whole life with impossible to peel HB eggs. About 6 months ago I discovered something that really, REALLY works:
  • Doesn't matter if new eggs or old eggs...
  • Put them in pot, add cold water, bring to boil and hold for about 11-13 minutes
  • dump hot water - immediately add cold tap water and lots and lots of ice.
  • Add more ice. Stir occasionally.
  • Leave the eggs in the ice bath until they are cool - about 10 minutes minimum
  • commence easy peel
You're welcome :emoji_sunglasses:

jcam222 jcam222 - had the same problem my whole life with impossible to peel HB eggs. About 6 months ago I discovered something that really, REALLY works:
  • Doesn't matter if new eggs or old eggs...
  • Put them in pot, add cold water, bring to boil and hold for about 11-13 minutes
  • dump hot water - immediately add cold tap water and lots and lots of ice.
  • Add more ice. Stir occasionally.
  • Leave the eggs in the ice bath until they are cool - about 10 minutes minimum
  • commence easy peel
You're welcome :emoji_sunglasses:
I’ve tried similar but I’ll sure give it a go!

Reactions: uncle eddie
I’ve tried similar but I’ll sure give it a go!
Jeff, my experience says that eggs are going to peel how they peel. I’ve boiled them all, that day layed fresh to store eggs and even known to be old eggs off the farm. Some peel slick as a whistle, some want to fight you like crazy. It’s frustrating but in the end they do all peel. It’s just some better than others. Turkey eggs the same.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky