What else is good to stuff poppers with

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
I do a cream cheese and cheddar mix, so far I tried them with brisket, sausage, pepperoni, plain, bacon and I always wrap with bacon. So what else does everyone suggest. And do people add rubs to the cheese mix? So far my fav is with sausage. thanks for any and all advise

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Going to some tonight stuffed with a mixture of refried beans red enchilada sauce cream cheese topped with cheddar and bacon wrapped.

Reactions: tallbm
I make 50 to 100 at a time but my go to filling is
Equal parts cream cheese, feta cheese and blue cheese.
I finely mince a yellow onion to mix in and add a 50/50 mix of Bob Evan's spicy breakfast sausage/sweet Italian sausage.
8 oz each cheese
1 tennis ball sized sweet yellow onion
1/4 pound each fully cooked, drained and finely chopped spicy breakfast and sweet Italian sausage.
Mix all ingredients well.
(I soften the cheeses in a warm water bath before opening them to mix)
Stuff the peppers, dust with a good rub (I like mine with a heavy brown sugar based rub...1 cup brown sugar - 1/3 cup chili powder - 2 TBSP Morton's kosher salt 1 + 1/2 tsp each onion and garlic powder)
Wrap in bacon and smoke
When the bacon is done brush them with your favorite BBQ sauce and smoke them another 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I would try sausage , pineapple and cream cheese and brush the bacon at the end with teriyaki. Haven’t tried it but seems like it would be the bomb.

I do equal parts cream cheese, sharp cheddar and Manchego (sometimes substitute Manchego with parmesan), ground sweet Italian sausage (browned), minced and grilled sweet onion and garlic, fresh dill (chopped), crushed black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
Sometimes I substitute the sausage with packaged crab meat. The crab flavor gets covered up quite a bit with all the other flavors though so I usually feel like I don't get much bang for the buck with the crab in there.

Going to some tonight stuffed with a mixture of refried beans red enchilada sauce cream cheese topped with cheddar and bacon wrapped.

Oh man I never thought about a mixture of refried beans (not from the can) and cheese!!! That would be so amazing!

I have an aunt who makes a refried bean, cheese, and peppers tamales and WOW soooo good. She uses mozzarella in them which seams odd but it totally works and is amazing.

So It is on my mind to try extra sharp cheddar, colby jack, and mozzarella versions :)

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I finely mince a yellow onion to mix in and add a 50/50 mix of Bob Evan's spicy breakfast sausage/sweet Italian sausage.
8 oz each cheese
1/4 pound each fully cooked, drained and finely chopped spicy breakfast and sweet Italian sausage.
Stuff the peppers, dust with a good rub (I like mine with a heavy brown sugar based rub...1 cup brown sugar - 1/3 cup chili powder - 2 TBSP Morton's kosher salt 1 + 1/2 tsp each onion and garlic powder)
Wrap in bacon and smoke
When the bacon is done brush them with your favorite BBQ sauce and smoke them another 20 minutes.
dang that’s a lot of work.

Oh man I never thought about a mixture of refried beans (not from the can) and cheese!!! That would be so amazing!

I have an aunt who makes a refried bean, cheese, and peppers tamales and WOW soooo good. She uses mozzarella in them which seams odd but it totally works and is amazing.

So It is on my mind to try extra sharp cheddar, colby jack, and mozzarella versions :)
I make my own beans, basically every week, we eat a lot of beans in the south west, then I do my own refried from them, yes very good think layered bean dip.

Basically what ever your heart desires that day. I like a little sausage in the bottom, then some smoked cheddar, and finally sprinkled with some of your favorite rub.

Chris

I have tried mixing the cream cheese with cheddar. BUT---always just go back to cream cheese.BY THE WAY--I freeze leftovers and microwave later-----Still good.....No not as good..but good.

In Biloxi we're getting jumbo shrimp for 3.99/lb. We butterfly them, and the splayed-out end of them sticks out like a little whale-tail. First we fill the popper half-way up with walmart-brand shredded italian blend - it's mozzarella, provolone, parmesan and asiago, sprinkle the whole butterflied shrimp with cajun spices, and stick it in skinny side down. We brush a big glop of melted butter on the whale-tail. We have a popper rack, which you definitely need for the whale-tail weight at the top.

8 oz each cheese
Wrap in bacon and smoke
I like the breakfast sausage idea. Will have to make a batch with this recipe

I do equal parts cream cheese, sharp cheddar and Manchego (sometimes substitute Manchego with parmesan), ground sweet Italian sausage (browned), minced and grilled sweet onion and garlic, fresh dill (chopped), crushed black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
Sometimes I substitute the sausage with packaged crab meat. The crab flavor gets covered up quite a bit with all the other flavors though so I usually feel like I don't get much bang for the buck with the crab in there.
I like this one

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky