What do you use for smoke i.e. Live oak hickory citrus tea almond

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nolaspice

Original poster
Apr 15, 2022
I've used mainly live oak hickory and pecan in my horizon 20" offset . Thanks for all your help

Pecan and cherry were my woods of choice for years. I would occasionally add peach and apple into the mix. Every restaurant around these parts uses hickory, so I get enough hickory on the few occasions per year I eat BBQ other than what I cook.
Always primarily pecan with chunks of fruitwood mixed in (I had to pay for fruitwood and pecan was free). East coast pecan (where I live now) reminds me of west of the Mississippi post oak (where I grew up).

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
My current stockpile includes A LOT of white oak, some cherry, hickory, plum, and a fair amount of maple.

Here's a picture or three...
Here's some of what I started with. This is a 16'x6 1/2' trailer. I also had 2 full size pickup truck loads. There is some red oak in the mix, but 80%-90% white oak...
20220424_101224[1].jpg

20220424_160128[1].jpg

20220425_162250[1].jpg

New and seasoned white oak...
20220517_083905[1].jpg

Some more white oak and some cherry...
20220517_083952[1].jpg

More white oak and some of my maple...
20220517_083924[1].jpg

The white oak was a very recent acquisition and I have been working my butt off to get it all split and stacked. This is what I gave away to some family and friends along with another truckload to a fishing buddy...
20220425_123811[1].jpg

I have more than what you see in these couple of pictures stacked at our daughter's house under a carport.

To answer your question more specifically, I like the white oak and maple the best. They are mild and work well with almost any meat. Hickory and pecan(which I'm out of) are my next favorites. The cherry, which is actually wild black cherry, is probably my least favorite of what I've got, but I like it with pork, ribs especially. I haven't tried the plum yet because it hasn't seasoned quite enough, but soon...

My current stockpile includes A LOT of white oak, some cherry, hickory, plum, and a fair amount of maple.

Here's a picture or three...
Here's some of what I started with. This is a 16'x6 1/2' trailer. I also had 2 full size pickup truck loads. There is some red oak in the mix, but 80%-90% white oak...
View attachment 632188
View attachment 632185
View attachment 632189
New and seasoned white oak...
View attachment 632186
Some more white oak and some cherry...
View attachment 632187
More white oak and some of my maple...
View attachment 632191
The white oak was a very recent acquisition and I have been working my butt off to get it all split and stacked. This is what I gave away to some family and friends along with another truckload to a fishing buddy...
View attachment 632190
I have more than what you see in these couple of pictures stacked at our daughter's house under a carport.

To answer your question more specifically, I like the white oak and maple the best. They are mild and work well with almost any meat. Hickory and pecan(which I'm out of) are my next favorites. The cherry, which is actually wild black cherry, is probably my least favorite of what I've got, but I like it with pork, ribs especially. I haven't tried the plum yet because it hasn't seasoned quite enough, but soon...

Nice haul of good wood. if you lived close to me you would need cameras or a big dog to keep me out . Haha

^^^^^wood for days!! LOL!!! Like!
Yep, I've got enough wood for a LONG TIME. At my age, by the time I need more, I may not be physically able to smoke anymore...or...well, you know...

Nice haul of good wood. if you lived close to me you would need cameras or a big dog to keep me out . Haha
I've got Lucy, she might lick you to death...

Reactions: forktender
Yep, I've got enough wood for a LONG TIME. At my age, by the time I need more, I may not be physically able to smoke anymore...or...well, you know...

I've got Lucy, she might lick you to death...
Holy backache!!!
I wouldn't be able to move for 3 months, and that is just loading the trailer to get it home. I don't cut and stack any longer, I honestly can't handle it these days with my spinal fusions and nerve damaged legs. I miss hard work, honestly I do!!!

That is an impressive stockpile you have there. I have access to all the oak I could ever us, but I can't load, cut and stack any longer, so I pay to have it delivered and stacked when I need it.

I use whatever I can get. Currently it's red and white oak, hickory and a small stash of apple

Same as ^^^^. Whatever I can get. I have a wood stove insert in the house, so whenever I get firewood I just split some smaller pieces for the smoker!
Around here, (the Ozarks) we have a bunch of oak..post, white and red.

Pecan or cherry most of the time but I use some oak and hickory. Apple is hard to get down here

Back when I had an offset I used mostly Oak, then Hickory, and a little Mesquite. Now with a pellet grill it's LumberJack Hickory.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky