What do you tell people when they ask about a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ammaturesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I have a number of co-workers every week ask me what kind of smoker should they buy. I ask them three questions. Average amount of smoking per week, volume per cook, and budget. Already they tell me they cannot afford anything like a Traeger from Costco. So in my mind I already cross off the other good offsets as well. I then tell them get a Weber Kettle. It's the last one they will ever need. I also told them to get a USED unit as there are tons in classified ads all of the time and to get a slow n' sear device. Average for the two going with a used kettle will only set them back 130 bucks. Today a guy asked me about COS models and I say I already told you what you need and what will work good for you. He then ask why I have expensive offsets and not use Weber kettles? The next part shocks them. I first tell them I invested in quality. I then tell them I have three Weber kettles and I use them more than anything else. Two 22 1/2 models and one 18 1/2 I take camping. Jaw drops and asked why I use the kettle so much. I said because it is a smoker, grill, oven(pizza kit), wok, broiler, cowboy grill(Santa Maria attachment), and griddle. He said SOLD!!!

I am a major fan of Weber Kettles and the WSM.  You can use both for so much. 

What I find incredible is how people react when I tell them about the Webers.  Folks will seek me out, rave about the BBQ, then ask me what I use.  When I tell them about the Webers, how easy they are to use, and what you can do with them, I am amazed how many people shut down because it is charcoal and not propane and wood chips.  Maybe it's just a California thing.  People want amazing flavor without the work.     

What I find incredible is how people react when I tell them about the Webers.  Folks will seek me out, rave about the BBQ, then ask me what I use.  When I tell them about the Webers, how easy they are to use, and what you can do with them, I am amazed how many people shut down because it is charcoal and not propane and wood chips.  Maybe it's just a California thing.  People want amazing flavor without the work.     
Yea i usually tell people if they are looking at 3-4 hundred range a WSM is the way to go. at the last several jobs i have had and around church i have grown a reputation for a smoker/griller person (i give away a lot of goodies) and people are amazed when i tell people i dont have a propane grill. I say yeah i love to smoke with my wood smoker (Black Betty)  and grill with my Weber kettle or cold smoke with my WSM.

i think for about $500 you can have the best smoker and grill combo with WSM 22 and a kettle 22. thats the route i went with my money so it would be silly for me to recommend anything else. now if you going the 1500 area i recommend a Lang. Once my pharmacist asked me about my Lang because she saw the tee-shirt and said she would like to get one for her husband! so i guess i was free advertising for Lang!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

What work though? Dumping lit coals onto unlit coals setting your vents and going to bed? Granted, I would usually sit in the porch with a beer and a smoke to make sure everything stabilized before racking out but I was going to do that anyway. I will always recommend the wsm to people for the exact same reasons above. I have done everything on my 18.5" but a whole animal and have not yet been able to conceive anything else That couldn't be done.

What work though? Dumping lit coals onto unlit coals setting your vents and going to bed? Granted, I would usually sit in the porch with a beer and a smoke to make sure everything stabilized before racking out but I was going to do that anyway. I will always recommend the wsm to people for the exact same reasons above. I have done everything on my 18.5" but a whole animal and have not yet been able to conceive anything else That couldn't be done.

My thoughts exactly! More involved than turning a knob and pushing a button.

Last edited:
I just had this discussion yesterday with a coworker and it didn't go well.

She asked what kind of smoker I'd recommend for her husband. Just like every other time this comes up with someone I asked what their budget was, how much tending they want to do, and how often they'll use it with what volume of food.

She told me budget was ~$600 for the smoker and accessories (healthy enough I thought). He likes the thought of tending it, but they have a baby due in a couple of weeks and he's a K9 officer who is on call regularly so the option of set and forget would be nice too. They plan to grill a lot in the summer for up to 8-10 people and he'd like to smoke 2-3 times a month starting out. 

Given those criteria I immediately said Weber 22" Kettle and an MES 40. That's the best of both worlds to my mind. Throw in a Maverick 732 or a ThermoPro TP-20, a Slow 'N' Sear, a ThermoPop, and an AMNPS and he'd be set for good. Yes, I know everything that can be done in the MES can be done with the Kettle + Slow 'N' Sear or AMNPS but I also know he's lazy as he can be.

She replied that he really had his heart set on a Large Big Green Egg so I asked why we even had the conversation 
wtf1.gif

I just had this discussion yesterday with a coworker and it didn't go well.

She asked what kind of smoker I'd recommend for her husband. Just like every other time this comes up with someone I asked what their budget was, how much tending they want to do, and how often they'll use it with what volume of food.

She told me budget was ~$600 for the smoker and accessories (healthy enough I thought). He likes the thought of tending it, but they have a baby due in a couple of weeks and he's a K9 officer who is on call regularly so the option of set and forget would be nice too. They plan to grill a lot in the summer for up to 8-10 people and he'd like to smoke 2-3 times a month starting out. 

Given those criteria I immediately said Weber 22" Kettle and an MES 40. That's the best of both worlds to my mind. Throw in a Maverick 732 or a ThermoPro TP-20, a Slow 'N' Sear, a ThermoPop, and an AMNPS and he'd be set for good. Yes, I know everything that can be done in the MES can be done with the Kettle + Slow 'N' Sear or AMNPS but I also know he's lazy as he can be.
She replied that he really had his heart set on a Large Big Green Egg so I asked why we even had the conversation :wtf1: . 

Amazing. On average, the large BGE costs a lot more than $600 out here. I've known four people with Kamado style grills that could never get the hang of smoking. I know it can be done because people here do it. The folks I knew didn't have the patience.

Amazing. On average, the large BGE costs a lot more than $600 out here. I've known four people with Kamado style grills that could never get the hang of smoking. I know it can be done because people here do it. The folks I knew didn't have the patience.
Yeah. They run ~$800 to $1,000 here depending on whether or not you want the wheels. They've been around for ~40 years so they have to be good cookers but I just don't see it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of value to that price to me. You can do everything in a Webber Kettle that you can in an Egg without sacrificing any build quality for a hell of a lot less money.

I have to agree on the WSM and kettle combo! I bought my kettle used added a rotisserie ring and rotisserie setup from Cajun bandit all together it was the cost of a new Performer.

This is where passion comes into play....I like to not only smell the greatness of what I am smoking but also to let the neighbors get hungry from it. Going for many hours is the pure gift of smell.

Last edited:
A friend has the WSM 22.5" smoker with a BBQGuru controller.  He can do an all night cook by loading it with fuel and leave it alone for 10-12 hours with great results.  I guess the Guru could be set aside and the unit fed manually if that's your preference.  Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I have the 18 WSM and I'm currently hunting for a 22 kettle master touch.
Throw in the iq110, the maverick and a vortex...what else do you need??
I can't find a used kettle so I may have to buy new. It would be nice to have a built in table but the kettle can go right on my porch!
I wish I would have found these years ago!
And btw, Walmart is having a clearance on the kettle pizza kit.
$40.00!

Last edited:
Here is all I can say from experience and necessity.
I have only had 4 smokers and there are a bunch out there that are not in my price range, or I don't have the space for that I would love to have.
Sometimes I want to smoke a burger, a rack of ribs, a meatloaf, a fatty, or any one of a number of things and don't want the hassle of setting up and cleaning up a stick burner or a charcoal burner, or even a gas smoker that represent more set up and attention than electric. I am retired and have been since 05 but because of projects that I am constantly involved with I have less time now then I did when I was working a regular job, so I don't have the time to baby set a smoker and keep in mind I live in the refrigerator of the nation, Minnesota and I don't do anything out side when it's below freezing. I'm a born and raised Texas boy who got misplaced years ago sigh! All I have just said is the reasons that I currently have a WSM 22 1/2" with a temp controller for long smoke of butts and brisket when I have the time to deal with set up and clean up and I have a MES gen 2.5 40" for quick set up and small or large amounts that I can turn on and up and track on my phone the same as the temp controller on my WSM. Sometimes I have both going and track both on my phone I find that useful.
I also have the Pellet tray and the 12" tube and the cold smoker attachment so that I don't have to add chips every 45 minutes to the MES. In addition I have a Holland grill that works great with the 12" Pellet tube as a cold or hot smoker for things like chicken that benefit by higher cooking temps. The Holland grill is a indirect gas grill and cooks by time at 400 degrees and has no temp controller. It does a great job on just about anything. For searing and grilling I have a 5 burner grill with a searing station that hits 800 degrees. Real nice for searing my Sous Vide cooked burgers, stakes, and chops.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky