What do you pay for wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
I am new to smoking and haven't found a reliable private party to buy wood from yet. Retail I pay about $20 for a 2/3 cu ft. bag of chunks. This is from a local BBQ store. Are there online vendors you like to use? And am I paying too much?

http://www.chiggercreek.com/index.php
Not sure how this fits for you or cost compares . These guys are Missouri based I use the chunks and chips . I just use for flavor , not the heat source . I buy them local , 5 bucks for the bag of chips , $8 for the chunks .
If interested I bet you can find them local to you also .

I am new to smoking and haven't found a reliable private party to buy wood from yet. Retail I pay about $20 for a 2/3 cu ft. bag of chunks. This is from a local BBQ store. Are there online vendors you like to use? And am I paying too much?

It’s a tad high but not ridiculous. I assume you are using as flavor wood in a charcoal or electric or gas smoker. That amount lasts me quite a while, say 10 or more smokes (just a guess as I haven’t counted how many smokes I get out of a bag of chunks).

If you are using a stick burner you will go bankrupt using bags of chunks.

One thing to consider is whether or not those bags of wood you're using are kiln dried or not. Wood dried in a kiln loses a lot of the compounds we seek to flavor meat.

Currently, I can't even find a source of hardwood in my area.

If you are using the wood for flavor you can greatly reduce you cost by getting amazing pellet tray and a 20lb bag of pellets. One fill of the tray takes about 1/2lb of pellets and smokes for around 12 hours. A bag of Camp Chef Applewood pellets is $12.99. So with a bag of pellets and a pellet tray you can get around 450 hours of smoke or $0.36 per hour of smoke.

I typically start my cooks with a good bed of lump then add a split as needed for smoke and as it burns down it acts as my coal bed for the next split.This sounds much more cost effective. I usually buy a big bag of splits from the BBQ store but on their website they don't have that listed so I can't recall the cu ft. on that. The bag of splits I buy is about $40 and weighs probably 50 lbs.

http://www.chiggercreek.com/index.php
Not sure how this fits for you or cost compares . These guys are Missouri based I use the chunks and chips . I just use for flavor , not the heat source . I buy them local , 5 bucks for the bag of chips , $8 for the chunks .
If interested I bet you can find them local to you also .

I'll check it out. Thanks!

It’s a tad high but not ridiculous. I assume you are using as flavor wood in a charcoal or electric or gas smoker. That amount lasts me quite a while, say 10 or more smokes (just a guess as I haven’t counted how many smokes I get out of a bag of chunks).

If you are using a stick burner you will go bankrupt using bags of chunks.

I usually use a bag of splits. It's about a 50 lb bag and runs about $40. Can't recall the cu ft.

One thing to consider is whether or not those bags of wood you're using are kiln dried or not. Wood dried in a kiln loses a lot of the compounds we seek to flavor meat.

Currently, I can't even find a source of hardwood in my area.

Not sure if what I've been buying is kiln dried or not but I've been pleased with the flavors it has provided.

You should check on craigslist. I saw a whole chord of oak splits seasoned for $220 with add'l for delivery to different areas. You may also be able to make friends with a tree trimmer and get it for free. I picked up half a chord of apple, not split for free this past fall. Also saw a half chord of oak delivered for $125...don't buy bags...wish it were that cheap in CO...last time I was in MO, I cut a whole cherry tree and split it for free...but that is over 3 hours from you.

When I decided that Bradley had priced their Pucks out of my realm of reasonable, and that having to order them was my only way to get them, I decided to find a better way.
Poking around the Internet brought me here, and I became a Pellet convert.
Everywhere around me there are numerous brands and types of pellets available.
Eventually that brought me to an AMNPS. And I know of no better way to get smokey goodness as inexpensively, or with such readily available wood types.
Try Charcoal, and add flavor with AMNPS or an AMNTS. Done, and Done!

Well you're a KC resident. I purchased from Woodyard BBQ once, and their markup is pretty high if that's where you're getting it. I live relatively close to Woodyard's supplier CNC Wood Sales, and I get a big bag(50lbs?) of oak for I think $20. It's been a bit since I had to buy wood, I don't go through as much with my GF smoker. You might give Carrol a call/email and you may be able to work it out if you can buy some directly from them when they are doing a delivery up there.

When I decided that Bradley had priced their Pucks out of my realm of reasonable, and that having to order them was my only way to get them, I decided to find a better way.
Poking around the Internet brought me here, and I became a Pellet convert.
Everywhere around me there are numerous brands and types of pellets available.
Eventually that brought me to an AMNPS. And I know of no better way to get smokey goodness as inexpensively, or with such readily available wood types.
Try Charcoal, and add flavor with AMNPS or an AMNTS. Done, and Done!

I may give this a shot at some point. But for me part of the fun is playing with the fire and adding the right size splits at the right time and just the overall work that goes into fire management. But eventually my wallet may sway me another direction. :-)

Well you're a KC resident. I purchased from Woodyard BBQ once, and their markup is pretty high if that's where you're getting it. I live relatively close to Woodyard's supplier CNC Wood Sales, and I get a big bag(50lbs?) of oak for I think $20. It's been a bit since I had to buy wood, I don't go through as much with my GF smoker. You might give Carrol a call/email and you may be able to work it out if you can buy some directly from them when they are doing a delivery up there.

I've thought about giving Woodyard a call. I've currently been getting wood from KC BBQ store in Olathe. I've got an email out to Carrol at CnC for pricing. Thanks for the info!

I'm lucky I guess that I have lived in the country my whole life and have plenty of wooded areas. I have always cut, spit and seasoned my on. Wild Cherry, Hickory, Pecan and Oak. I don't have Pecan growing on my property but there is a Pecan orchard about 15 miles away and I check with them from time and cut big limbs that break off during high winds and such. No charge.

Naturally felled trees in the woods here are free, a delivered cord is about 225. I don't think its worth the price of gas to travel to VT for your wood though.

Chris

I like different woods. To me, they're like seasonings. There's no such thing as a hickory tree on the West Coast so chunks at WM, HD, or Lowes are the only options. But we do have lots of fruit, nut, and oak. A full cord of cooking wood, undelivered, runs from $270 (almond and oak odds n ends) to $400 (16" oak splits), and an oak special of $345.

Thankfully, I have a huge oak tree in my backyard. I'll whack a branch off every now and then. We had to have some professional work done on it recently, and at my request they left me enough to cut up into chunks that will last me about two years in my WSM once it has dried.

DustyJoe,

What kinda smoker are you using? You refer to bags of chunks in you OP then start talking about splits as the thread progresses.

When you say a bag of chunks I’m thinking about a charcoal smoker like a WSM or similar and when you talk about using splits I am thinking offset stick burner.

DustyJoe,

What kinda smoker are you using? You refer to bags of chunks in you OP then start talking about splits as the thread progresses.

When you say a bag of chunks I’m thinking about a charcoal smoker like a WSM or similar and when you talk about using splits I am thinking offset stick burner.

I have an offset. I typically use splits but for some reason the BBQ store I buy wood from did not have splits listed on their website, only chunks so I used that as an example to get feedback on prices. I couldn't remember what I paid there for the splits.

I was paying $15 for a bag of hickory at Walmart but am actively sourcing hickory logs to save $ ...... lots of smoking gets expensive at $15/bag

I have an offset. I typically use splits but for some reason the BBQ store I buy wood from did not have splits listed on their website, only chunks so I used that as an example to get feedback on prices. I couldn't remember what I paid there for the splits.

OK.Got it. FWIW- I can get this at Academy anytime. Still not not having a good source where you buy it by the cord and have it delivered and stacked but better that chunks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky