What do you do with leftover brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

imhungrymk

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
I love brisket, like most of you guys. What do you do with your leftovers? Also what do you do with the trimmings?

Here is a link to how I make my brisket breakfast bowls!

C94DE55E-E9B9-484D-BF7D-EF8A91975317_1_105_c.jpeg

We always have a round of sandwiches from the fresh. Then I vac seal and freeze. It re-heats amazingly. Then we use for chili, tacos, more sandwiches, nachos, etc

That looks good! A while back I had a flat get a little over done. Not bad just didnt want to hold together well when sliced. I used it up in a few dishes. Heres a link to what I did with it.

That looks good! A while back I had a flat get a little over done. Not bad just didnt want to hold together well when sliced. I used it up in a few dishes. Heres a link to what I did with it.
Oh all of that looks great!! I will be making some of that..

what did you do to that pepper.. that looks great!!

iQbsG.jpg
LtmAt.jpg
They are great! And sort of leaning healthy to boot. These are a Steven Raichlen recipe I thought he blog posted about 10 years ago and called them 'Poblano Rellenos' but here is the LINK to the recipe. The filling is warmed in a skillet, than spooned into the peppers and cooked until the pepper is tender. You can make the filling ahead of time. Hint... make more than you think you need, they are that good. I've smoked them in the afternoon, chilled, and just reheated in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes.

View attachment 473097
View attachment 473098
They are great! And sort of leaning healthy to boot. These are a Steven Raichlen recipe I thought he blog posted about 10 years ago and called them 'Poblano Rellenos' but here is the LINK to the recipe. The filling is warmed in a skillet, than spooned into the peppers and cooked until the pepper is tender. You can make the filling ahead of time. Hint... make more than you think you need, they are that good. I've smoked them in the afternoon, chilled, and just reheated in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes.
Thanks! I have bookmark that weapon... I think maybe I will add some ground beef.

Reactions: JLeonard
View attachment 473097
View attachment 473098
This is amazing! Thanks for sharing this.

Left over smoked brisket goes well in most anything any meat will go in, baked beans. chili, chopped for a topping on a baked potato and velvita cheese dip with some extras also. I do try to keep some in the freezer ready to go. Thanks for sharing the peppers, I will have to try that soon.

Thanks! I have bookmark that weapon... I think maybe I will add some ground beef.
This is amazing! Thanks for sharing this.

Anything goes. This is something that is a 'technique' more than a 'recipe'. The shallow poblano boats are just the delivery item. You will figure that out when you make the filling for the first time. I did some with a mac-n-cheese filling that were really good.

Reactions: Sowsage
I love brisket, like most of you guys. What do you do with your leftovers? Also what do you do with the trimmings?

Here is a link to how I make my brisket breakfast bowls!

View attachment 473080

Hi there and welcome!

I never have just plain "left over" brisket hahaha
I smoked two 13 pounders a couple of weeks ago and basically ate 1 all week and had the other one sliced, vaccum sealed, and in the freezer after I ate the 1st lunch the day they were done.

My favorite thing to do is to chop it up, mix in a little bbq sauce and make sandwiches or wraps with it with some onion, jalapeno, and maybe some cheddar mmmmmm.

Breakfast tacos are also awesome with eggs, beans, cheese, and salsa!

If I'm gonna smoke 1 brisket I usually smoke 2. So I have plenty left in the freezer vac sealed. Most vac sealed frozen bbq meat (or any meat for that matter) microwaves up well in the vac seal bag but brisket is OMG so good like it was the day or day after it was finished cooking!

Reactions: MJB05615
The choices are endless. I used to slice & vac pack & freeze with a bit of AuJus, but now I vac pack & freeze it in chunks with some AuJus, reheat it in simmering water in the bag, then slice it. It seems to be juicier that way. Also if you want to cube it or chop it you have that option too. For leftover burnt ends I just vac pack. & freeze them too. Reheat the same way.
Al

I just got a vac sealer 2 months ago and we are loving it! We eat the fresh Brisket, then vac seal leftovers in single meal bags with some au jus. Leftovers are enough for 3 more meals. My Wife never ever eats leftovers. But the vac sealed literally tastes like it just came off the smoker, only more tender. So we get 4 meals out of 1 Brisket. We now vac seal leftover Roast beef, Pork Loin, etc. My Wife has embraced leftovers as long as they taste like they did on cook day. We also vac seal bulk meats when we go to Sams, before we freeze it. One of the best thing I've ever gotten.

I'm gonna have to get a in person primer on trimming and cooking a brisket. Loving what you guys are doing with brisket.
Jim

Reactions: imhungrymk
I just got a vac sealer 2 months ago and we are loving it! We eat the fresh Brisket, then vac seal leftovers in single meal bags with some au jus. Leftovers are enough for 3 more meals. My Wife never ever eats leftovers. But the vac sealed literally tastes like it just came off the smoker, only more tender. So we get 4 meals out of 1 Brisket. We now vac seal leftover Roast beef, Pork Loin, etc. My Wife has embraced leftovers as long as they taste like they did on cook day. We also vac seal bulk meats when we go to Sams, before we freeze it. One of the best thing I've ever gotten.
A vac sealer is a necessity round here. Use mine almost daily

A vac sealer is a necessity round here. Use mine almost daily
Until I got the vac sealer, we didn't realize how much food we were wasting. I'll often eat the leftovers for 2-3 days, then get tired of it and throw the rest out. Now none of that, should help reduce the grocery bill for sure. I'm embarrassed I didn't get one sooner.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky