• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What do you do with leftover brisket?

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I'm a backyard smoker, not a competitor or a caterer. I've watched a lot of videos about trimming briskets. Most appear WAY over-trimmed to me. I just trim off hard fat and discolored fat. I don't worry one bit about the quarter-inch thick recommendation or silver-skin. Silver-skin will render tender like all connective tissue.

I avoid trimming meat by selecting packers with an even cut and minimal tapering at the flat. I've never had a problem recognizing how to cut against the grain, so slicing off meat to show the grain direction is just a waste of money.

I've rendered trimmed fat on the stovetop. Can't say I cared for cooking with rendered beef fat. Much prefer bacon fat and rendered pork butt fat.

Leftovers get vac-sealed and frozen, or used in soups, chili, or Mexican dishes.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.