What do you do with left-over charcoal after a cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Hey all,
Until recently, I haven't had leftover charcoal after a smoke. Now, I have quite a bit of charcoal left after a cook (not burnt/only a bit burnt lump). After I knock the ash down and clear that out, what should I do with that charcoal? Do you let it sit in the cooker, and if so, how long ? Thanks!

I knock the ash off of used lump, then move it to the side of the charcoal basket/bowl, add some new stuff and re-use the old. If I'm doing something really delicate, like shrimp or biscuits, where I don't want much charcoal flavor, I really like using used lump so I'll scrounge some from 2 or 3 cookers and build a fire.

If its chunky, I'll use in the chimney on the next cook. If it's pretty small, I will usually put new lit coals on top.
I find that too much fine stuff in the chimney settles in too tight and seems to choke the drafting process out. Might just be me being impatient. LOL

Reactions: jcam222
Charcoal is charcoal. After fired up and snuffed, you're left with...charcoal. Re-use. When I fire up the smoker, I knock the ash off, then load the new on top. When firing up a chimney, I'll load new first, then the used.

Yup!

Charcoal is charcoal. After fired up and snuffed, you're left with...charcoal. Re-use. When I fire up the smoker, I knock the ash off, then load the new on top. When firing up a chimney, I'll load new first, then the used.
never thunk about using it in the chimney--thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky