What do you do when you make something you like?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I made my first batch of bratwurst and it was great. I loved it and will make it that way again. However, there are many different kinds of bratwurst. 

I am getting low and will be making more bratwurst. Do I make the one I know I like or do I experiment and try a different one I may not like as much?

This is the same with my back bacon. I have been experimenting and have found one I like. Do I keep trying to improve it or stick to one I like?

I would love to hear how others deal with this dilemma. Do you continue making old favourites or do you keep pushing the envelope?

Disco

How about a 50/50? Make half just like the last batch and the other half with a new twist.
That's an idea but I'm way too lazy for that.
I am always trying to improve my Q

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
I have to admit, I do like experimenting.

Both.  Always trying to improve when experimenting on myself but go to the proven when cooking for others.
Thanks, that is kind of what I'm doing now. It just is that a batch of brats or bacon lasts me for a long time if it isn't ok. However, experimenting is so much fun, I will likely do that.

Disco

When the Bride says, "That's good.... I like it..." ...... I don't change a thing..... "A man's got to know his limitations" quote.. Dirty Harry Callahan......

Reactions: andybigwood
When the Bride says, "That's good.... I like it..." ...... I don't change a thing..... "A man's got to know his limitations" quote.. Dirty Harry Callahan......
Har, Dave! That is a given! 

Are you wanting us to believe that you couldn't make what you last made any better?

I simply find this extremely hard to believe. Everyone looks for that perfect combination, but do we ever find it or just become placated with what is good? I agree a man must know when he's reached his limits, but if you don't test them how can you be sure?

Although I agree with Dave, when the boss says you"re done, you're done. But you can still experiment with a small batch and hide it in the back of the freezer. I say this as a single man. LOL

Oh Man!  Does your question describe me to a tee.
biggrin.gif

When stove top, or oven cooking, I never can make myself follow a recipe.  I just follow the general idea of a recipe, because I always think I can add or subtract to make it better.  Sometimes it's better, sometimes not quite as good, but seldom does anything turn out bad for me.  I said seldom. It happens occasionally.  But hardly ever do I make same foods the same way twice.  My daughter recently asked me for my recipe for bean soup.  She always love mine.  "Oh Honey", I replied.  "There is is no recipe, only a method"  Foolish her, she believed the bean package that said beans would be cooked from dry to done, in 1 1/2 to 2 hours, instead of my instructions.  LOL

But with smoking, I'm now learning to try recipes to the letter first.  If I like it, then keep that recipe in the bin, and next time experiment a bit.  If I don't like it that way, then I have the original recipe still in the bin to fall back on.  Messing up a batch of meat is much more expensive than screwing a minestrone soup.

I've only made sausage a couple of times.  For them I don't screw around with the recipe at all the first time.

Last edited:
If I find something I like I will repeat the same process again. I usually do it several times so I have a solid foundation for what I know I like. After that I will experiment.

If I find something I like I will repeat the same process again. I usually do it several times so I have a solid foundation for what I know I like. After that I will experiment.
Thanks. I think I am the opposite. I experiment until I find one I like then suffer this dilemma.

Oh Man!  Does your question describe me to a tee.
biggrin.gif

When stove top, or oven cooking, I never can make myself follow a recipe.  I just follow the general idea of a recipe, because I always think I can add or subtract to make it better.  Sometimes it's better, sometimes not quite as good, but seldom does anything turn out bad for me.  I said seldom. It happens occasionally.  But hardly ever do I make same foods the same way twice.  My daughter recently asked me for my recipe for bean soup.  She always love mine.  "Oh Honey", I replied.  "There is is no recipe, only a method"  Foolish her, she believed the bean package that said beans would be cooked from dry to done, in 1 1/2 to 2 hours, instead of my instructions.  LOL

But with smoking, I'm now learning to try recipes to the letter first.  If I like it, then keep that recipe in the bin, and next time experiment a bit.  If I don't like it that way, then I have the original recipe still in the bin to fall back on.  Messing up a batch of meat is much more expensive than screwing a minestrone soup.

I've only made sausage a couple of times.  For them I don't screw around with the recipe at all the first time.
Thanks for this. I guess I am doomed to tweaking, except on a couple of recipes She Who Must Be Obeyed likes.

Are you wanting us to believe that you couldn't make what you last made any better?

I simply find this extremely hard to believe. Everyone looks for that perfect combination, but do we ever find it or just become placated with what is good? I agree a man must know when he's reached his limits, but if you don't test them how can you be sure?

Although I agree with Dave, when the boss says you"re done, you're done. But you can still experiment with a small batch and hide it in the back of the freezer. I say this as a single man. LOL
I totally agree Foamheart but I sure like my current brat and bacon recipes. I will likely alternate or something. 

However, as a guy who's been married for 39 years, don't mess with recipes She Who Must Be Obeyed likes. Her disappointment could hurt you.

Disco 

WELL........
ask your wife if its OK to go try a new one out just to see if ya like her better   :)
i am of the school if it aint broke dont fix it .... but i always enjoy trying other peoples product !!!!
SPICE OF LIFE !!!

On to the perfect summer sausage.....lol.
Ah, the perfect solution! Hold on, then no bratwurst.

WELL........
ask your wife if its OK to go try a new one out just to see if ya like her better   :)
i am of the school if it aint broke dont fix it .... but i always enjoy trying other peoples product !!!!
SPICE OF LIFE !!!
Actually, She Who Must Be Obeyed has told me it is ok to try another woman. Her comment is anything I can talk another woman into, she deserves.

Disco

i always keep a log of everything that way i can go back to it if i need to...of course alot of our fav stuff is in our head cause we have done it so many times right!

i always keep a log of everything that way i can go back to it if i need to...of course alot of our fav stuff is in our head cause we have done it so many times right!
I keep track too. It helps to remember what worked and didn't work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky