What can I smoke with 1lb of pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasmoke1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
My girl bought me a Kona variety pack of several 1lb bags of different wood pellets. I’d like to run some taste tests using the different kinds.

Anything I can smoke that would only need about 1lb of pellets, so I can try a few different smokes with the different bags and see the results?

It's pointless if you are planning on using them in the hopper. They will only last less than an hour as the fire pot will consume them pretty fast. I'd use a full hopper of mild wood. Oak or fruit woods and use your 1lb bags for a 12in pellet tube that will give you around a 4hr smoke with your prized pellets

Charcoal pellets are something I’ve never heard of.
LumberJack makes a charcoal and hickory (Char/Hickory) blend pellet.
Royal Oak makes a 100% charcoal pellet.
I've only tried the Lumberjack in a tube and wasn't impressed with the flavor. I'll try burning them off in the hopper blended with some oak pellets.

Do you cold smoke anything? Like Jake said in the hopper they'll be useless, but in a maze or tube they'd shine,

Chris

I have never done a cold smoke. Is this with the tube?

Cold smoke is usually done with just the tube burning. I use a kettle for better control

Reactions: gmc2003
In a tube or maze, cold smoke some mild cheese. If you use the same cheese for all smokes you should have a reasonable comparison,

I'll add to what John said, cold smoking is basically done below 70* and some type of external gizmo is used. The more popular gizmos are either a tube or a maze. I cold smoke cheese and lox this way. The gizmo is the only source of heat. I will add that instead of pellets I use dust which produces a cleaner smoke.

Here's a pick of my maze using dust.
1672058503860.png

a shot of the cheese in my WSM:
1672058619834.png

and the finished product:
1672058677462.png

Chris

My girl bought me a Kona variety pack of several 1lb bags of different wood pellets. I’d like to run some taste tests using the different kinds.

Anything I can smoke that would only need about 1lb of pellets, so I can try a few different smokes with the different bags and see the results?
what type of smoker{s} do you have to work with?

I get tickled when I see the dust makes cleaner smoke lol, same material just deconstructed and haven't figured out how it changed chemically

I get tickled when I see the dust makes cleaner smoke lol, same material just deconstructed and haven't figured out how it changed chemically
I can't explain the science behind dust burning cleaner, but I can say after numerous side-by-side comparisons with different woods. It just does. If I use pellets then I have to wait a week or so to start enjoying the smoked cheese. When I use dust I can eat it basically the same day. It just tastes better.

Chris

Reactions: normanaj
No chemical change. By using dust you have less air surrounding each piece of pellet dust vs whole pellets therefore less air available for combustion, less air equals less combustion equals less smoke. If I fill my smoke tube with dust and light it I’ll get about 4 hours of smoke, if I pack the dust with the but end of a screw driver I can get about 6-8 hours of smoke. If I pack the dust too much then I’m fighting to keep it lit. For my conditions I fill the tube about 1/3 full them tap the bottom of the tube, fill to 2/3 and tap again and finally fill to top and tap it down again. Mailbox box air inlet wide open.

Reactions: normanaj

I can't explain the science behind dust burning cleaner, but I can say after numerous side-by-side comparisons with different woods. It just does. If I use pellets then I have to wait a week or so to start enjoying the smoked cheese. When I use dust I can eat it basically the same day. It just tastes better.

Chris
Maybe similar to amount of smoke from a cigar compared to a cigarette?

Then there is this
No chemical change. By using dust you have less air surrounding each piece of pellet dust vs whole pellets therefore less air available for combustion, less air equals less combustion equals less smoke. If I fill my smoke tube with dust and light it I’ll get about 4 hours of smoke, if I pack the dust with the but end of a screw driver I can get about 6-8 hours of smoke. If I pack the dust too much then I’m fighting to keep it lit. For my conditions I fill the tube about 1/3 full them tap the bottom of the tube, fill to 2/3 and tap again and finally fill to top and tap it down again. Mailbox box air inlet wide open.

I mash my pellets in the tube with a piece of rebar. It helps slow the burn especially for the pellets that are abnormally long pieces.
I haven't tried making sawdust from the pellets.

This:emoji_point_up:.

I've been doing this for several years now.Can't remember the last time I used whole pellets in a tube other than on my gas grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky