• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What beef cut do I have here?

Gokou3036

Joined Sep 17, 2020
I bought this at my local Dillons/Kroger yesterday and it has me confused. From the label I thought I was buying chuck cut beef short ribs. I get it home and take another look and there's no bones, I thought in the store maybe I just wasn't seeing them but they are not there. From the amount of fat they almost remind me of pork belly, is beef belly a thing? How should I treat them in my smoker? Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Not sure what cut of meat you have there but not long ago I bought a full packer cut the flat off, cured it and smoked it as beef bacon...turned out excellent!

Ryan

Gokou3036

Joined Sep 17, 2020
So I smoked one of my slabs of "ribs" this weekend. I'm not completely convinced that's what this cut is. After cutting it into 1.5" strips before cubing it I just had to take a picture. The fat to meat ratio just seems wrong for it to be called rib meat. It certainly did make some delicious burnt ends though! Since I didn't want to make a meal item out of something that fatty I glazed them with a sweet pomegranate reduction at the end to turn them into "meat candy". They even reheat quite well because there's almost no meat in there to get tough! I think for my others I'll take Brokenhandle's advice and try curing these to make bacon.

Attachments

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.