• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What backyard grill should I get?

mdbannister

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 5, 2017
Hey everyone, we just got a house (finally out of that apartment life!!), and I'm looking at grills (of course!). I would like something that will serve our family well, but I also entertain fairly large groups regularly from our church (maybe around 30 people). So I'm trying to get something with a good size to it, but that will also work well for our family too.

I'm looking to steer clear of propane. I'm just not a fan. However, I am torn between pellet and charcoal grills. I have traditionally grilled over mesquite wood chunks, and I enjoy it. However, I'm also looking at the Traeger and Pit Boss pellet grills and love the amount of control they offer (haven't used either, so I'm relying on reviews).

What are your thoughts? If you were buying a new grill right now, what would you be looking at?

mdbannister

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 5, 2017
In my own dream world, someone would create a combo grill that allowed me to use either charcoal/wood chunks or pellets (similar to how they do with charcoal/propane combo grills). ...but no such marvel exists from what I can find.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I have a pitboss pellet grill/smoker, not thrilled with it, I dont get that grilled flavor from mine unless I start at low temp with bbq pellets then raise heat even then the flavor isnt the best, yes its convenient but I suggest ya look at charcoal if you want the bbq flavor. Just my opinion.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I'm a charcoal guy myself, and use a few different flavor woods, both in chunks and by adding pellets into the charcoal. Why don't you define grilling for your family verses entertaining 30 people, meaning what kind of foods for each, and how much?

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
I dont own one so you can take this with a grain of salt but I would check out the masterbuilt gravity fed series. You can grill and smoke on them and still get the charcoal flavor you are looking for. From what I understand you get a lot of the controls a pellet grill would offer.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
I dont own one so you can take this with a grain of salt but I would check out the masterbuilt gravity fed series. You can grill and smoke on them and still get the charcoal flavor you are looking for. From what I understand you get a lot of the controls a pellet grill would offer.
You beat me to it! :emoji_laughing:

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 18, 2017
With deals going on around christmas time you might be able to swing doing two different cookers. If you like cooking over charcoal you cant go wrong with a weber kettle... As far as regularly cooking for 30 people at your church....dont rule out propane completely....id take a look at some flat top grills like the blackstones or campchef...you can do just about anything you want on a flat top and sure makes it easy feeding 30 people.

912smoker

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
I agree ! I have the MBGF 1050 and love it. Charcoal and wood chunk flavor, low and slow, sears to 700* and lots of space to feed a crowd. But she does love to eat lol

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
If you are cooking for that many people and want consistency in the cook, I would suggest the RecTec-1250.....you can put wood chucks or coals on top of the CI diverter plate a the start of the cook if you want the wood or coal flavor.......

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
A 26.5" Weber grill will do everything you mentioned. It will grill, smoke, bake, roast, you name it. No electronics to fail from heat or rain. There are lots of accessories, and it uses a fuel you are familiar with using. Finally, it will last for decades.

Convenient? It's not like as quick a starter as a propane or pellet grill, but what's another half hour between friends?

BigGebben

Joined Oct 1, 2021
What sort of neat are you trying to cook? If you just want to do hamburger and hot dogs most anything mentioned would do the trick. if you are wanting to do briskets and large meats you could even look into an offset smoker if that is available for you.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Besides the Weber kettle I would also look at the Weber Smoky Mountain(WSM).The WSM is a great charcoal smoker right out of the box and it can be accessorized and turned into a fantastic smoker.And you can grill on it too.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Big difference between cooking/smoking for a family vs 30 people. If the 30 people does occur throughout the year then you're going to need a rather robust unit. The size of unit does depend somewhat, on the protein you are cooking for 30 people. Regardless of size, I personally suggest you start by looking at the offerings from Yoder & Req-Tec.

Last edited:

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
I have a 22 in kettle and love it. It will do everything. like noboundaries noboundaries said the 26 inch would do what ya want from family to groups.
Jim

JeffShoaf

Joined Nov 4, 2021
Have you looked at Santa Maria sir grills? Wood, charcoal, or both and lots of fun playing with fire. Smoking is a bit inconvenient unless you get one with a lid but you didn't mention smoking. You can outfit some of them with a rotisserie too.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.