What backyard grill should I get?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As Ray said the first question is your budget. When you feed 30 people what type of meats and other items are you going to grill / smoke? Serving up 30 steaks could call for something completely different than 30 people’s worth of pulled pork.

Reactions: sawhorseray
In my own dream world, someone would create a combo grill that allowed me to use either charcoal/wood chunks or pellets (similar to how they do with charcoal/propane combo grills). ...but no such marvel exists from what I can find.
So...has your BBQ brain exploded yet???

never have been happy with only 1 cooker, a large cheap gasser along with a Weber Performer can handle a lot of food, a 36" griddle will round out all your needs. A pellet smoker/grill can make some great food no matter what some folks say, been running 1 over 3.5 years and love it, not for every cook but a lot when I need to do other things.

So...has your BBQ brain exploded yet???
Haha! Yep! I'm kind of at overload.

However, I had never seen that gravity fed Masterbuilt. Somehow I missed it when looking at other grills. I think that may be the one I've been looking for!

A few of you asked about my budget. I'm looking at staying under $1k.

I also should've mentioned that I do already have a 40" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker which I really like and plan to keep using regularly (although I'm open to having my mind changed), so this is about adding a grill to my arsenal.

Man, I just watched the video on that Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050. I think I love that thing!

Yep I love mine and use it 4-5 times a week for a yr now. And the MES makes an excellent warmer oven to keep foods on hold at 140°. ( learned that trick here at SMF. Sorry can't remember who to give credit to 🤔)

you mention two different types of cooking so I see two different tools. I'm thinking a santa maria style for grilling. lots of surface area pending size of course and its wood or charcoal capable. then a smoker for smoking. two butts or briskets doesnt need a lot of room for smoking.

I have a 22 weber kettle and have modified it extensively with a Thermoworks control system and Cajun bandit smoker attachment.. for big parties I can do a lot of meat in that sucker. that said, i also have a 48 inch Blackstone flat top and it is very awesome. best of all worlds if you ask me. edit, 36 inch blackstone. thanks hammer for setting me straight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flatrate
I think it's 48. it's the 4 burner with the multiple air fryers built in. had it a few years. maybe I'm thinking of my old camp chef that went down river in the flood that took my house a few years ago.

No worries, damn man sorry to hear about the flood. When I saw your post I thought I missed out on something, lol.

Reactions: timberjet
jcam222 jcam222 noted a couple months ago Walmart was running clearance specials on the MB 1050 gravity's. He might be able to give you the SKU # so you can check locally and find a great deal on one.
I suspect most are gone but you never know. Here’s the Brickseek link with the SKU. Need to add your zip code.

Reactions: 912smoker
With a $1K budget and an already existing smoker that you are not trying to replace I would certainly strongly consider the gravity fed charcoal grills from Masterbuilt or Chargriller. I hear that the 980 design has more even cooking temps across the grid but I have neither so I can't actually say for sure. I know those are the two that I would be looking at since I like both grilling and smoking. Either one can do both. I don't need to serve 30 people pretty much ever but with my current setup of a Weber Kettle 22:" and my OKJ Highland offset I can feed a lot of people a lot of food. The kettle is perfect for quick grilling burgers, dogs, chicken, or anything else. The offset can hold a couple of packer briskets with a little micromanagement and easily eight or more pork butts at once. That will definitely serve a bunch of folks. It sounds like you want to actually grill for 30 or so people so again I would look at the Masterbuilt or Chargriller simply because you use my favorite fuel for cooking on them. Plus you have an accurate temperature range. I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose and some pics of one of your upcoming feasts.

G

Reactions: mdbannister
It's the only reason I haven't gotten one for my 22" kettle. They are pretty much all at or over $100 dollars. That person on Etsy was selling that for $90 but you would still need a universal rotisserie unit.

G

Last edited:
Haha! Yep! I'm kind of at overload.

However, I had never seen that gravity fed Masterbuilt. Somehow I missed it when looking at other grills. I think that may be the one I've been looking for!

A few of you asked about my budget. I'm looking at staying under $1k.

I also should've mentioned that I do already have a 40" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker which I really like and plan to keep using regularly (although I'm open to having my mind changed), so this is about adding a grill to my arsenal.

Man, I just watched the video on that Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050. I think I love that thing!
I have a blue tooth MES 40, Pit Boss 1100sc pellet smoker, and a 22" Weber. If I didn't think my wife would kill me, I would for sure get a gravity charcoal.

Thanks, everyone! I just pulled the trigger on a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 800 Grill+Griddle. Walmart did indeed have them on discount for $549, so that was easily within my budget and seems like it'll be a gem! I would've gone for the 1050, but the price was about $250 more, and it seems the 800 will be big enough (plus, I do like the griddle it comes with). I'll post up some pics when I get which should be close to Christmas.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky