What are your top 3 all-time favorite western movies?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aside from and hour or two of Gunsmoke nightly, keep these on DVD
Gunsmoke, All in the Family and Mash were regulars on the boob tube at our house growing up. They were part of the four constants when we watched the tube. The forth was Chris get up and change the channel, or Chris adjust the rabbit ears.

Chris

Not a movie but has anyone here read Empire of the Summer Moon?

I'd love to see a very realistic movie made from that book...

Reactions: bauchjw
This is a tough one. I'll go with:

• The Cowboys (John Wayne, Bruce Dern, and I only recently realized that John Williams wrote the score.
  • True Grit (I prefer the John Wayne version, but the remake with Jeff Bridges was also very good).
  • Either Open Range or The Magnificent Seven would be my third pick.

Blazing Saddles would be among my top 3 all-time favorite comedies.

#1: Any Western with John Wayne.
#2: Any Western with Clint Eastwood.
#3: Any Western with Charles Bronson.

Dave

Another great one - Once Upon a Time in the West...

Henry Fonda was sinister as **** and Charles Bronson won the gunfight. Great movie.

Modern:
Tombstone
Open Range
Unforgiven

Older Films:
Red River
Rio Bravo
Magnificent Seven

Unforgiven
Hang 'em High
Rooster Cogburn

All Of The Above!!!

Bear

That’s a pretty amazing book. It’d be a brutal movie to watch though!
"We like to think we ain't animals. Like we've evolved into something different. Prison teaches you we haven't. Forget bears and wolves, snakes and all that sh**. We're the meanest f***** thing on this planet." - Walker, Yellowstone Ranch Hand...

So many to pick from... I have antenna TV so I watch the Grit channel quite often and frequently! I could watch The Outlaw Josey Wales everyday. True Grit with John Wayne is a classic, also Rooster Cogburn with Katherine Hepburn is a slice of Americana. Favorite? Can't say but we live in the land of plenty so if you're spending a sick day on the couch you have no shortage of good stuff to pick from.
Now... Tombstone. I love that flick. I read an article years back about that movie... I think Shooting Times or what ever magazine I was subscribed to at the time. The point of the article was the lengths that the film makers went to be period correct in clothing, firearms, horse tack etc etc and they did well. Now the details surrounding the fight at the OK Corral is a bone of contention long since chewed to death so hey... let's not talk about Wyatt's Buntline special either.

demotivational-posters-clint-eastwood.jpg

Movies:
1. Outlaw Josey Whales
2. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven

TV Show or Short Series:
1. Lonesome Dove (Duval, Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Glover, etc.)
2. 1883
-(Pleasantly surprised by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's acting which is drastically different compared to their mostly Pop-Country roots. I enjoy real Country music, but really don't care for the Pop-Country style.)

3. Hell on Wheels

Wow, so many good choices to try for only 3. I guess I'd have to pick the ones that I can watch over and over, though.

No particular order:
Silverado (All of the Western tropes crammed into one movie)
Quigley Down Under ("I said I didn't have much use for one. I didn't say that I don't know how to use one.")
The Quick and the Dead (Kinda goofy, but fun. Loved Gene Hackman chewing the scenery)
Little Big Man ("There is an endless supply of White Men. But there always has been a limited number of Human Beings")

Runners up:
The Searchers
The War Wagon
True Grit (Jeff Bridges)
Hang 'Em High
High Plains Drifter

Also loved John Wayne movies, but it's irked me that sometime in the 60's, the producers thought they had to cast whatever pop singer was charting at the time, I guess trying to bring in younger audiences. Now, hey, I don't mind Dean Martin turning up; at least he could act. But why were these dorks necessary?
Ricky Nelson
Frankie Avalon
Fabian
Bobby Vinton

"We like to think we ain't animals. Like we've evolved into something different. Prison teaches you we haven't. Forget bears and wolves, snakes and all that sh**. We're the meanest f***** thing on this planet." - Walker, Yellowstone Ranch Hand...
That actor (who is really a singer songwriter named Ryan Bingham) is awesome!

Yellowstone has such amazing music in the show because they originally consulted him to help with song selection, song direction, etc.

I'm fortunate enough to hear a majority of those songs and that style of actual country music where I'm located. I'm glad the show gets to bring it to a more mainstream audience who can hear some real good music they never knew of since they are inundated with stuff that the pop-country music machine pushes down everyone's throat like basically everything Luke Bryan and bands like Florida Georgia Line and Little Big Town do haha :D

That actor (who is really a singer songwriter named Ryan Bingham) is awesome!

Yellowstone has such amazing music in the show because they originally consulted him to help with song selection, song direction, etc.

I'm fortunate enough to hear a majority of those songs and that style of actual country music where I'm located. I'm glad the show gets to bring it to a more mainstream audience who can hear some real good music they never knew of since they are inundated with stuff that the pop-country music machine pushes down everyone's throat like basically everything Luke Bryan and bands like Florida Georgia Line and Little Big Town do haha :D
We've seen Ryan Bingham 3x in concert!

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky