What are your top 3 all-time favorite western movies?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1: Tombstone
2: They call Me Trinity
3: 3 Amigos

11171C6C-FD29-44CD-8665-902226B24E98.jpeg

He'll on Wheels (all 5 seasons)
Lonesome Dove
Dances With Wolves
Jeremiah Johnson

Man, I could go on and on.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Like the title says: What are your top 3 all-time favorite western movies?

Mine are:
Appaloosa (Ed Harris / Viggo Mortensen)
True Grit (Jeff Bridges)
Open Range (Duvall / Costner)

Tangentially, my all time favorite western character is, of course, Captain Augustus "Gus" McCrae (Robert Duvall - Lonesome Dove) - IMHO no one plays a cowboy better than Duvall.
In no particular order:

Open Range
Tombstone
Blazing Saddles

I know you said three, but what the heck!

The Man From Snowy River
McLintock
Chisum
Paint Your Wagon
Unforgiven

I am a huge Western Fan. Pretty sure I have seen about everyone ever made multiply times.

Anything with Audie Murphy
Once Upon a Time in the West
Blazing Saddles

I am a huge Western Fan. Pretty sure I have seen about everyone ever made multiply times.

Anything with Audie Murphy
Once Upon a Time in the West
Blazing Saddles
Once Upon a Time in the West is a great movie - highly under-rated in my humble opinion - great characters.

I have Blazing Saddles but I consider it more of a comedy - funny as heck though - could never be made in today's snowflake social environment...

I'll add a few that I didn't see mentioned .
I get drawn into watching these when I see them on .
1. Cheyenne Social Club .
2. The Searchers
3.Undefeated
I hate when that happens. You're planning on doing something. Next thing you know 2 hours have past.

Chris

Not a movie, but I liked watching F-troop and The Wild West(not the Will Smith movie).

Chris

I know this will get me hated but John Wayne just never did anything for me - I think it was because when I was very young and a John Wayne movie was on the tube, and John drew and shot his 6-shooter at the ground, and killed a bad guy - it was just so fake that it turned me off to him, even at a young age.

But I loved Jeff Bridges in True Grit - I thought he and it was 10X better than the original.

No offense to anyone, just shootin' the breeze.

Hey - another great comedy western - City Slickers! Jack Palance was awesome!!!

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Aside from and hour or two of Gunsmoke nightly, keep these on DVD

Unforgiven
How the West Was Won
Silverado
Tombstone
Magnificent 7 (both)
Blazing Saddles
Every Clint Western
Quigley Down Under
Lonesome Dove
All are great but I could watch Lonesome Dove a thousand times and always enjoy it! Gus was the greatest ever.

The only reason it is not one of my top 3 movies is because it was a mini-series, not a movie! :emoji_thumbsup: In fact - I am popping the DVD's in right now!

Have you ever watched Comanche Moon and/or Dead Man's Walk?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky