What are you thankful for?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
With every thing going on now I thought it would be a good time to post about things we are thankful for. I have many things to be thankful for. First and foremost I am thankful for the technology we have, the ability we have to be able to do video calls on our phones. Short sidetrack will explain why...mom has been at the Mayo clinic now for a week. Was there with her for several days but had to come home, a farmer with livestock can't stay away for too long. On Monday my wife went back to Rochester to be with mom and also dad who's never left her side. For the last three years my wife has been taking care of mom while she is at home. So tonight we had time to do a video call, even though we are not together it was very nice to be able to see her while we talked. Am also thankful of all the drs at the Mayo clinic, they have such a wealth of knowledge. We just live each day not knowing what the next will bring for mom. I am also thankful for this site, so many wonderful people with so much knowledge and the never ending to do list.
So let's hear it...what are you all thankful for?

Ryan

Beautiful thread, Ryan. I hope and pray all goes well with your mom and family.

My parents have moved on, but I'm thankful for my loving wife of four decades, our children, their friends and families, and my fun sister who always makes me laugh and smile.

I have the freedom to express my innate gifts for expression with words and food for others to enjoy, discard, or judge. I am safe, comfortable, and generally healthy. For all this I feel truly blessed and thankful.

Ray

Beautiful thread, Ryan. I hope and pray all goes well with your mom and family.

My parents have moved on, but I'm thankful for my loving wife of four decades, our children, their friends and families, and my fun sister who always makes me laugh and smile.

I have the freedom to express my innate gifts for expression with words and food for others to enjoy, discard, or judge. I am safe, comfortable, and generally healthy. For all this I feel truly blessed and thankful.

Ray
Thanks Ray, I appreciate it! Sometimes when things get tough we fail to think of all the positive things we have going for us.

Ryan

Thankful for my wife beating breast cancer and having a negative mammogram last week.

Thank God and congratulations!! That is great news. Add this to the list of many things I'm thankful for.

Way too many to list but starting at the top...my amazing wife, two beautiful daughters both of whom are serving our country in the Navy, a comfortable home, a stable job for both of us, financial stability, lots of the basic staples and food to get us through this difficult time, and not the least is my huge extended family here in SMF.

I do give thanks every day for these things and many more,
Robert

There are too many things to list them all. I'm very blessed! Family and faith I guess are the biggest, but very thankful for my first granddaughter.

Robert, thank your daughters for their service. My only girl is a Marine and the prettiest one I've ever seen. She was planning on that as a career, but is medically retired now. I told her that may have been her plan, but He had something else planned for her.

I am thankful for;
  • freedom and to those who protect our country.
  • for my wife (hasn't killed me yet)
  • my two daughters who both have lots of education and are working in successful careers.
  • my relationship with our parents and having no regrets about them.
  • knowing there are still (some) good people in the world.
  • despite having done many stupid things when I was younger, things turned out pretty alright.
  • My close life long friends.
  • this site and having the means to own a smokers and use it.
  • So much to be thankful for!!!
Thank you for this thread! Its a good reflection to keep perspective.

Thank you for this thread! Its a good reflection to keep perspective.

I agree Sandy!! With all the stuff a lot (probably most) of us are going through right now, it's too easy to focus on the negatives and overlook the positives. Certainly times are not the best right now, but no matter how bad it may be, it could always be worse AND we still have many positive things to be thankful for which may have been forgotten the past couple weeks. Kudos to Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle for starting this and bringing the focus back on the better things we all have in our lives.

Robert

thankful the court house didn't close tues. due to virus, about a year ago my stepson who is 27 asked me about a year ago if he could change his last name to mine, knowing him for 14 years I said absolutely, then he asked if I can adopt him so my name would be on his birth certificate, well being 26 at the time I wasn't sure if that was possible so I contacted a lawyer and was told it's not common but it is done, so we started the process and finally about a year later the hearing was set for march 17, then the virus hit and with everything closing we were afraid they would close the courthouse but they didn't so we went before the judge and he granted the adoption and name change. so my son became irish on st. patty day.

To the OP, brother I can’t imagine how you feel but know how I felt when going through much the same. It was a challenge but at the same time eyeopening. So I’m grateful for my parents that planted a seed in me that eventually helped me to know who to be thankful to. He has blessed Bunny and I much more than we deserve so we try to make everyday Thanksgiving Day.

I'm thankful for my wife, family, friends a great shotgun, AR 15, 45ACP and my Spyder Co knives and true aim and the strength to protect the things I love and so much more.

Damn we have a lot in common :emoji_wink:

I've already posted a few of the things I'm thankful for. In addition to those and many other things, I'm thankful for my association with Certified Piedmontese Beef and the Big Brown Truck. Here's a quick pic of what showed up on my doorstep today via the Big Brown Truck.

The full bounty
001.jpg

The grand prize. Two full 103 sub primal rib sections. Total weight right at 54#
003.jpg

Regardless of how bad this dilemma may get, I am thankful that we will eat. I got a call from my sales manager from CPB on Monday that the online sources for meat are getting hit hard because stores were not able to keep up with demand. He called to tell me this so that if I needed to stock up, I might want to consider doing so before inventory disappeared. They had their biggest day of shipping in history on Monday and you don't grow a cow in a day, it takes time. I thought that was customer service above and beyond the normal expectations. Talked with Tracy and here's the reality of it. We are going to spend X amount of money on meat over any given amount of time. Sure, this was a big hit on the credit card but it's no more than we would normally spend, we're just doing it in one shot versus stringing it out over several orders. At the end of the day, we have spent the same amount of money so we decided not to take a chance running out. Are we guilty of hoarding like so many others that have caused this issue? Maybe so but once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout. I am a firm believer in being prepared.

A lot of things to be thankful for,
Robert

We are going to spend X amount of money on meat over any given amount of time. once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout. I am a firm believer in being prepared.

A lot of things to be thankful for,
Robert
Do you ever wet age your cryovaced beef for 60 days or a bit more after the "processed date" on the package? Heck of a way to up scale the envestmiate.

I'm very thankful to be able to stay healthy (it's a relative term with ones age and welfare in mind),
To be able to speak with our only child and 2 grandchildren through the video communication (Skype) that I remember seeing as a preteen @ the "Museum of Science and Industry" while visiting my aunt and uncle in Chicago, IL. Our daughter, our only child is 2,000 miles away in Comox, BC (it's on the island of Vancouver).

Reactions: Will Squared
For me. The last 1.5 years has been a trying time. In that short space of time I lost my mother, father, brother in law, and a very good friend. Things like this really makes you back up. And tally what you have. And I treasure what I/we have. Now this horrible virus has come about. And brought another set of challenges we all must rise up and endure.
With all that being said. I'm thankful that we are enduring this so far. And my family is doing well. My youngest just got laid off yesterday. And I was given better details yesterday that the company I work for falls under the essential list. So, both me and Ann, she works in health care, are secure in our jobs for now. Other then in need of a new freezer, our old one is making some grinding noises in the compressor. And it is currently packed with supplies which would be very hard to replace. We are doing ok. I've read some other peoples misgivings. And wish you all the best of luck in these times.If there is anything I've learned is that there is always someone in worse shape then you. And you can better yourself by helping others. A smile and thank you goes a long ways. Yesterdays trip to our local Walmart proved to me that there is still faith in the fellow man. With virtually all shelves bare. People were still being polite and smiling. And wishing people the best. A huge difference from a couple weeks ago when people were shopping under mass hysteria. Yesterday it was announced that all non-essential workers must stay home starting this Sunday. So when I went shopping. I was expecting the same shopping experience that I saw when this first started. But I didn't see that. People were clear headed. And bucking down to weather this storm.
Some of us may very well have to face the absolute worse this virus brings. And I pray for the best for all.

First off Ryan I hope and pray your mother gets well soon. Rick I'm very happy that your wife is now cancer free more prove of the power of prayer she certainly had a lot o people praying for her recovery. Of course she also fought the great fight to beat it and I'm sure you were a big part of that. Dave I'm glad to hear your stepdaughter's surgery was successful and she makes a full recovery I'll pray for her. Robert that's a great haul and I wouldn't call it hoarding I'd call it being prepared and nice that he called you.
I'm thankful for my wife a couple years ago I almost died and spent 28 days in the hospital and I believe the only reason I'm still here is the love and care she gave me. I'm also thankful for the life we live and the lifestyle we have.

Another thing I'm happy for, came home this afternoon to find out my wife was home from the Mayo clinic after being there all week with my mom. And also dad so that he wasn't sitting there by himself staying with mom. It's been a long busy week and I missed my wife, apparently so cuz when I seen her it brought tears to my eyes. The bad news is she came home because the Mayo clinic is stopping all visitors tomorrow...we are waiting to hear from dad to find out if he stays in hospital room with mom and doesn't leave the hospital if they will allow that, (mom's room has a couch that folds out into a bed) so we hope and pray they will let him stay.

Ryan

Reactions: Will Squared
First off, Ryan, prayers for your Mom.
When I look around at my world today, things could certainly be a whole lot better. The Arabs have pretty much destroyed my income for Spring, Summer, and Fall--I haul gravel into the Oil Patch. And the CoronaVirus has pretty much put a halt to my winter log haul, since nobody will be building anything for a while. Of course the good news is that Pulp Mill will need a lot of wood to make lots of pulp for the toilet paper industry. LOL.
But.....things could always be worse.
I'm most thankful for the love of my wife, Miss Linda. Without her love, I would have drank myself to death 6 years ago. Because of her unyielding love I quit drinking 6 years ago this July 1.
And my first, and only, grandchild--Orion--is a never ending joy. He just turned 2 in January.
I consider myself Blessed. Broke, but blessed. LOL
Gary

Last edited:
I'm thankful for my wife, family, friends a great shotgun, AR 15, 45ACP and my Spyder Co knives and true aim and the strength to protect the things I love and so much more.
I also have a lot in common with you...and more so. hehe.

tx smoker, I can head from South Austin to North Lake Travis any time you say!

tx smoker, I can head from South Austin to North Lake Travis any time you say!

Well sir, be on the lookout for an invite in the not too distant future. Broke down the two CPB 103 sub primal rib sections yesterday. Here is what I did with one of them.

04.jpg

After trimming off the rib tips and dressing the roast, this is 25# of the best prime rib on the planet. Plan to put it on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria and grill it over mesquite. Gonna be a few weeks as I want to wait long enough to ensure that the weather will be warm...unlike this weekend. Should be plenty to share with a few folks.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky