WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING, GRILLING, OR COOKING FOR MEMORIAL DAY. PLEASE POST YOUR PICS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey flyinion

the last hour you are actualy firming them up and adding the final flavor. When I took mine out of the foil I had 2 sets of tongs and I was still pulling bones. They firmed up in the last hour

check your thermometer. 10 deg makes a differance. 25+ will change the whole game'

Your pit will burn differant with lump  than it does with brickets. or with wood. find out what you need to do so your not chasing temps.. The first rule is get it burning well. If it is not burning well. It does not have TBS and you will fight it the whole smoke. Most people get in a hurry trying to get their pit going. Let the pit tell you when it is ready.

Thanks for the pics. They look great.

Happy smoken my friend.

David
Yeah I think at least for my region I need to go with briq's to not be chasing temps as much.  The lower heat output is probably better too for summer around here.  Today was upper 60's and rainy though, so that's why I'm thinking lump just doesn't get along with my WSM (or maybe the brand or bag was off).  My thermometers are ok, I was using the cheaper Maverick dual wireless one today.  I usually back it up with a standard basic Oneida digital probe thermometer stuck through a potato as well because sometimes I get weird readings from the Mav (I think the metal clip manages to transfer some heat to it ).  As soon as I have some extra $$ laying around I'm jumping on the Thermapen setup that has the dual meat/air temp probes so I can know once and for all I'm getting accurate temps.

Last edited:
We spent most of Memorial day making sausage. In between cutting, mixing, grinding and stuffing we had three racks of baby back ribs smoking in my file cabinet smoker. Sorry, it was a seriously busy (and messy) day in the kitchen so only one pic of our dinner.

Found some ready made rub at our Winco bulk spices section, it was surprisingly good! Also made up a near instant batch of Potato salad (about 45 minutes from peeling spuds to serving with ribs!) Both of us agreed, these were the best ribs I have ever smoked! Used 2-2-1 method.

Dan

I did 3 racks of St Louis style ribs yesterday and again I forgot to Q-view, but im doing two pork shoulders Saturday and will remember to Q-view. But the ribs turned out great.

So I smoked two pork butts totaling 16.5 pounds with my Char-broil 2 in 1 smoker-roaster and even though I had a minor issue things turned out pretty awesome. I don't have any pictures because I started smoking at 1 in the morning Sunday night/ Monday morning and was pretty tired. I loaded the smokers chop chamber with cherry wood chips and let those burn off while I got some sleep. Then I woke up at 6 and that's when the real work of feeding the smoker every hour started. 12 hours later I started my vinegar and cayenne pepper sop mop. Then I ran into an issue. About 15 hours into the meat cooking at 250 the temp was about 180 to 185 which was about where I thought it would be but I noticed an issue with the temperature probe where it plugs into the smoker. The metal insulator sleeve was frayed near the plug. So I unplugged to see if there was something wrong but things looked ok. Well here is where things get weird. My smoker can shut off when the temperature I set is met. Well I set the smoker to turn off when the meat reached 200. Well when I plugged the probe back into the smoker with the probe still stuck into the meat the temp shot up to over 200 degrees something crazy like 222. But when I turned off the unit and turned it back on the temp went back to around 190. I ended up taking out the meat and pulling it and things turned out pretty awesome. I didn't get a finished picture either because as I was going to grab my camera I noticed a dog with out a collar sitting by our front door so I had to figure out where she came from while the meat rested under foil.

Even though things turned out really good should I be worried about what happened with the temperature probe? Where's a good place to take the temp on a pork butt?

So I smoked two pork butts totaling 16.5 pounds with my Char-broil 2 in 1 smoker-roaster and even though I had a minor issue things turned out pretty awesome. I don't have any pictures because I started smoking at 1 in the morning Sunday night/ Monday morning and was pretty tired. I loaded the smokers chop chamber with cherry wood chips and let those burn off while I got some sleep. Then I woke up at 6 and that's when the real work of feeding the smoker every hour started. 12 hours later I started my vinegar and cayenne pepper sop mop. Then I ran into an issue. About 15 hours into the meat cooking at 250 the temp was about 180 to 185 which was about where I thought it would be but I noticed an issue with the temperature probe where it plugs into the smoker. The metal insulator sleeve was frayed near the plug. So I unplugged to see if there was something wrong but things looked ok. Well here is where things get weird. My smoker can shut off when the temperature I set is met. Well I set the smoker to turn off when the meat reached 200. Well when I plugged the probe back into the smoker with the probe still stuck into the meat the temp shot up to over 200 degrees something crazy like 222. But when I turned off the unit and turned it back on the temp went back to around 190. I ended up taking out the meat and pulling it and things turned out pretty awesome. I didn't get a finished picture either because as I was going to grab my camera I noticed a dog with out a collar sitting by our front door so I had to figure out where she came from while the meat rested under foil.

Even though things turned out really good should I be worried about what happened with the temperature probe? Where's a good place to take the temp on a pork butt?
Hey Tatts

for pulled go for 200 to 205 deg. I would check the temp probe in boiling water and see what's going on with it.

Happy smoken.

David

Ok so I did the boiling water test and the themometer as accurate to within 1 degree. The smoker is reading one degree hotter then one we use to test when cooking in an oven.

I guess I just need to figure out where to place the probe when I'm cooking the pork butt.

Also when smoking is it best to have a constant supply of smoke or do people smoke heavy in the beginning for a few hoirs and then every so often through out the cooking?

Morning, Mule!

As I said much earlier in this thread (about 6 pages ago), I had 4 racks of St. Louis Spares for yesterday.  I smoked the spares on the Rec Tec pellet pooper.  Had a houseful of people Sunday and Monday, so I never got any qview taken (Boo!).  Mrs. Red decided she also wanted ABTs to serve as appetizers, so I had to pull out the reinforcements at the last minute and use the old GOSM for the ABTs.  Both the spares and the ABTs were huge hits, no leftovers for me (DANG!).

Red

Last edited:
Did some chicken on the Weber Saturday night and pork butt and a few brats on the TMLE Sunday. Both turned out great!! Still learning new things about smoker, but the food is still coming out great, thanks to all the great info and tips from all of you on this site!!
[/IMG]
GALLERY]

Last edited:
Finshed my weekend with a breakfast fattie and pulled pork sandwiches, topped with homemade cole slaw.

Ok so I did the boiling water test and the themometer as accurate to within 1 degree. The smoker is reading one degree hotter then one we use to test when cooking in an oven.

I guess I just need to figure out where to place the probe when I'm cooking the pork butt.

Also when smoking is it best to have a constant supply of smoke or do people smoke heavy in the beginning for a few hoirs and then every so often through out the cooking?
The food takes smoke better early on. some will smoke till 150 deg or so. Then move to the oven. Some smoke the whole time. depends on how much smoke you like and the amount of time you have. I smoke the whole time.

Happy smoken.

David

Morning, Mule!

As I said much earlier in this thread (about 6 pages ago), I had 4 racks of St. Louis Spares for yesterday.  I smoked the spares on the Rec Tec pellet pooper.  Had a houseful of people Sunday and Monday, so I never got any qview taken (Boo!).  Mrs. Red decided she also wanted ABTs to serve as appetizers, so I had to pull out the reinforcements at the last minute and use the old GOSM for the ABTs.  Both the spares and the ABTs were huge hits, no leftovers for me (DANG!).

Red
Hey Red.

Glad to see you made it with out the MES40. Glad everything smoked well. but you know
th_nopicsye3.gif

I see you got a new title
congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Maybe one day i will move up in the world. Untill then I'll just
yahoo.gif

Happy smoken my friend.

David

Hey Red.

Glad to see you made it with out the MES40. Glad everything smoked well. but you know
th_nopicsye3.gif

I see you got a new title
congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Maybe one day i will move up in the world. Untill then I'll just
yahoo.gif

Happy smoken my friend.

David
I knew you'd call me out for not postin' some qview! 
rolleyes.gif

I do kinda miss that MES!

Thanks for the congrats, Brother!  I don't know if I deserve it, but it sure is cool!  I expect you'll get there too!

Red

Food for thought....I know threads like these are fun and there are a lot of posts of different stuff in one thread but in a couple months those great posts will be hard to find since they weren't posted in the section they really belonged in.

Piney, I thought the same thing, which is why I only posted the highlights in here, and also wrote up a more detailed thread covering the whole smoke. Maybe that would work for others as well.
Food for thought....I know threads like these are fun and there are a lot of posts of different stuff in one thread but in a couple months those great posts will be hard to find since they weren't posted in the section they really belonged in.

Piney

i will post in a thread. just have to get the lurkers posting. i enjoy cooking. love to see what others are cooking.

i have an idea
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
. IF YOU POSTED TO THIS THREAD. YOU MUST POST THE PICS TO YOUR THREAD OR I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND
police2.gif
 YOU FOR
hijack.gif

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. GET THEM PICS POSTED OR I WILL
Gunner.gif
. OK I WON'T DO THAT. I WILL
pb.gif
 THEN I WILL

yahoo.gif
 POST THEM QVIEWS.NOW!  SO WE ALL CAN
drool.gif

THANK YOU ALL MY FRIENDS.

ok caps off.

happy smoken.

david

Yea if people don't mind posting the stuff both places it's cool. Glad some of y'all are doing that

Wow! There's some fine looking meat on here!

Here's what I did:

Scarbelly Wings, per my best friend's wife's request.

Pork Loin Roll stuffed with bread stuffing and chopped (half-cooked) bacon. Filleted with some S&P.

Stuffing spread.

On the grill with another layer of bacon, to make up for the fat and sliverskin I removed. Chunk of apple wood to go with it, and water in the pan.

Sliced. It came out a bit dry. I pulled it at 160°, probably should have pulled at 150°.

Ah, what the heck! Here's some ribs I did earlier: Did not 2-2-1 these, as I wanted to try it without foiling.

Still good, but the wife says to wrap them next time.

And my biggest fan, waiting her turn. With those ears, she can hear bacon calling her from any room in the house.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky