What Are Y'all Doing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
All of us are facing the same situation in prices. Meats is in the outer space now.
Heck everything is.

What are y'all doing to replace all the bbq, smoking, grilling, sausage making space?

I got into craft stuff and still bread (flour is still easy on my wallet) My sausage making is very rusty these days.

Been too busy farming to do much of anything, but usually watch for sales. Wife is stopping today to pick up ribeyes, $ 8.99 lb ( 14 to 16 lb avg) so didn't think that was bad at all. Got some new york strip steaks for $6.99 lb not long ago. It does help that her work also gives them a grocery card. Lots of venison in the freezer as well.

Love some of the sublimation stuff you've been doing lately!
I did just finish up my first try of umai dry salumi and capicola...that turned out well and was fun to try.

Ryan

All of us are facing the same situation in prices. Meats is in the outer space now.
Heck everything is.

What are y'all doing to replace all the bbq, smoking, grilling, sausage making space?

I got into craft stuff and still bread (flour is still easy on my wallet) My sausage making is very rusty these days.
paying real close attention to the sale papers. We don't have butchers down here and i abhor pre-cut plastic wrapped meat .When we get a deeal i spend as much as i can afford. wings have been $2.49 so we air fry and suace those a lot. We also discovered. beef shoulder roast at Winn Dickme sometimes only $2.99/lb.mama puts it in the crockpot carnita sttyle and we have monster burritos. I just ordered a sous vide contraption, so widening my horizons. We haven't bought bacon for almost 3 years. My Latin meat place usually has full pork bellies for $3.99. there's almost always one on salt/pepper and maple slurple, ready to smoke and slice. bonus for bellies is pork belly tacos.

Hear ya.
Even on base the meat is high.

pretty much only buying meats on sale and that have a tolerable price. Pork seems to have not rocketed up as fast as beef, at least for now - bacon excluded.

Bread and pizza are always easier on the wallet.

I shop around much more than ever before. couple weeks ago Costco had pork chops for half the price as Kroger. Loaded up on those.

I bought sausage for the first time in a long time yesterday . Had Bob Evan on sale and store made brats .
I buy briskets for $3.79 , and pork butts for $1.79 . Grind them up and mix them together .
Working on the landscaping and trying to get this place in shape .
Been messing with pizzas on the kettle .
I'm always in the work shop doing something .

Trying to fish as much as I can, but customers have not been calling as much to book charters. My charters are down about 25%-30% at least and I understand. To help fill the void, I've been doing something that I said I wouldn't do and that's booking charters on Sundays, 2 so far...

Trying to fish as much as I can, but customers have not been calling as much to book charters. My charters are down about 25%-30% at least and I understand. To help fill the void, I've been doing something that I said I wouldn't do and that's booking charters on Sundays, 2 so far...
i feel for ya having to gas the boat. my big (only 24') boat has been on hiatus sine it has two gas sucking 2-strokes. We typically use the zodiac which has a 50hp e-tec, that can run most all weekend in the keys on 10 gallons of gas.

Still plugging along like usual. Work is crazy busy so not a lot of down time. Getting some estimates out today.

As for the food prices, I am keeping a good relationship with my local hog farmer and even doing my own processing if I can. Buying minimal processed meats help some with sales. Butts are staying around 2 bucks, buying the bulk bag of chicken leg quarters is .76 cents a pound. Beef is ridiculous no matter how you do it, but watching for sales I just picked up some petite sirloin steaks for 3.97 lb, untrimmed Tri-tip is 4 dollars a pound. Being willing to do a little knife work can save a little. They opened a restaurant supply in the town next to ours, and its open to the public, maybe get down there this weekend and check it out. I hear they have good prices and even pork belly.

Heck everything is.

Doin what my family and I have done our whole lives. Buying meat that is only on sale or marked down lol.

Having a lifetime of those skills and being in an area of the country that is not so expensive, makes weathering any tough time possible.

Each week I go online to visit the weekly adds for the stores in my area (3 different ones). On Tuesdays u can see the preview of the add for what comes out on sale on Wed-next Tues.
I am prepared before the deals even come out.

I can cook/grill/smoke just about any meat into a great meal so I just buy whats cheapest and rock on from there.

Additionally, I buy mark down meat and cook it that day or the next day if it has a couple of days on the label.
Right now the store has all kinds of hams for 50% off mark down. That means buying, cutting up and freezing. I make salads, beans, soups, etc. out of the meat because I cut it into serving sizes I can defrost, cook with, and/or eat all of it that day I defrost.

I have a propane grill. Any mark down meat can be grilled fast if I'm not going to throw it into another dish. Like many of us I can break down a whole cut of meat, chicken, and I hunt and process my own animals so I can break down anything.

Anyhow, I'm rambling as usual now. In short a little skill in shopping, cooking, and handling meat means hard times aren't nearly as hard. At least not when you compared it to the hard times people have that cannot do these things :)

To quote a great song about hard times, "Tough times don't last. Tough folks do" :D

Last edited:
We really haven't cut back on either smoking or grilling. Like everyone else, we watch for sales.
Having a deep freeze helps too.
Found a two year old whole bone in turkey breast buried in the bottom of the deep freeze earlier in the week and turned into this...
20220518_142050.jpg

I have a few shops/grocers I'll visit & watch for sales. I find myself being extra picky about prices when looking for meat now. Unfortunately where I live baby back ribs are high in demand & never go on sale. I've started cooking spare ribs instead & haven't been bummed. We have a place called Restaurant Depot that sells at wholesale prices, but you have to buy a ton of meat. Some buddies & myself split big cuts like ribeye loins & others. RD also has sales on products that come in with the vac seal bags damaged. I managed to get 22 lb (4 racks) of plate ribs for $5.85/lb yesterday. I was pretty excited.

All in all, I just have to spend more time searching & be pickier about what I get. Thank goodness for my deep freeze.

Things are pretty crazy out there. Back in early April I stocked up on canned/dry goods to try to stay in front of the inflation. Luckily I have a meat market about 40 minutes away that has always had killer deals. Got to buy in bulk but worth it. On my last visit scored choice short loin for $5.59lb and choice boneless Ribeye loin for $6.59lb.

Other stuff I've just been watching the sales. My local Meijer usually has some decent prices to fill in the blanks.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Meanwhile, it is another record year for beef exports...already a 53% increase over last year's numbers as American beef continues to be in high demand world wide.
However, pork exports are down this year compared to this time last year.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Been buying Sirloin Steaks at Sam's, price works out to around $3 a plate for the two of us and of course the 80/20 ground beef that I divide into 8 oz packs.

To more accurately answer the question; I'm sitting on a balmy 38 degree Spring day watching a snow storm destroy my landscaping, this after not being able to grill all Spring due to Red Flag fire weather!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky