what are the best choices???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bud1955

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Northern Colorado
Hi

I am new here. Just started smoking.  I just got done signing in and it was suggestedthat I put this request into the charcol and the electric forums  I have looked thru alot of the posts.  I have not seen any mention of the birnkman a only a few about the bradley. So the below post is what I am thinking about.

I have a Brinkman electric and it is so-so. My Brother is the one that is really into smoking. He has a repurposed Fridgidaire circa 1958. I am thinking about the same thing but can not find an old Fridge. I am looking at a charcol brinkman with the two doors or a Bradley "Original" electric (without digital controls. Both are used. The charcol is going to be $90.00 and the Brinkman is $150.00 What is the considerations or concerns from other members?

I would like all the info I could get about my choices.

Thanks in advance for the help

Bud

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Ask questions and use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse

Make bacon the easy way!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109368/more-easy-made-bacon-with-q-view#post_666451

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I don't know why some would choose on offset smoker or reverse flow I guess you call it over a vertical smoker. I'm trying to learn the differences and then I'm hoping to build one.

Jaketruck

When you start looking at larger smokers a good reverse flow is an excellent choice.  The heat and smoke pass under a metal plate warming it and giving the smoker a good even heat distribution.  They tend to be pretty stable.  The smoke on it's way back over the meat is cooler.  As the drippings hit that heated metal plate they vaporize adding moisture to the cook chamber.    A good reverse flow is a lower cost option to get into quality charcoal and wood smoking.  You do not have the advantages of a reverse flow but you can pick up decent offsets for about 300 bucks.  They need to be tended but the heat is away from the meat so you don't have to worry about charring.   Many have grates over the fire if you want to grill on them.   I have an Okie Joe that I used for years and it served me very well,   just a bit more trouble them my Lang 36   Not as familiar with a vertical smoker,  many of us have them,  I know they are great for things like hanging sausages and doing large turkeys. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky