1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Wet aging brisket??

Discussion in 'Beef' started by radioguy, Apr 5, 2019.

1. radioguy

radioguy Smoking Fanatic

I'm wondering how many of you age your brisket in the refer? I just read a thread that got me thinking about aging brisket. I'm just talking about buying it in a cryo pack and letting it "wet" age. Is there any advantage? It it worth it? I get most of my briskets from Costco, prime.

I'm also one of those guys that has no problem going past the stamped "use by" date. Especially beef, so long as it smells good and hasn't been too long.

Let me know your thoughts.
    RG

2. wbf610

wbf610 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Misplaced Nebraskan likes this.
  3. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If it in a cryco pack its already "wet aging"

I bough t a case of eye of round and what I found was there were no sell by dated on the individual cryo packs. The grocery store put that label on the day the unpack the meat and print out a label.

I have no doubt that from the time the animal is culled, processed, packaged, crated, trucked to a wholesaler, then trucked to the retailer it is already several weeks old before it even hit the shelf. Then add in the sell by date of another 2 or 3 weeks from when it was unpacked and sticker at the store and you creeping up of 5 to 6 weeks.

Wet aging may help in texture as the tissues are broken down but the flavor will not be intensified like when doing dray aged beef.

Saline_Smoker likes this.
  4. Misplaced Nebraskan

Misplaced Nebraskan Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

More of a seasoning meld ageing at this point. I did leave it in cryovac for a couple weeks. Then I trimmed, seasoned and re vac sealed it to hang out for a couple weeks. Not sure if any more ageing really happens but the end result last time (link in sig) is worth this re trial :emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_thumbsup:

wbf610 likes this.