Wet #2 cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mski2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
S. CA.
Hi,
I had a Pkg of cure #2 from sausage maker, it was damp , came that way.
when ordering from craft butchers pantry for $5 I thought i would get some and toss the wet stuff
Well the same thing with this damp, not clumping but damp, just concerned about the weight difference .
All the #1 cure I ever had was bone dry.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks
Mark

As soon as it's applied to the meat, it turns wet.... Not trying to say it's OK to get wet cure... Might be a bit of a problem weighing out the correct amount... Take a small weighed amount and dry it at 100F overnight... check the moisture loss... That will give you a way to determine the correct amount for adding to meats... You could even dry the entire bag....
I would NOT go over 100F as the nitrite can degrade, maybe, at that low a temperature...

well sort of like brown sugar not stuck together, this will not pour, and will pack like BS but not stay together.
All the cures I've ever had would pour like dry salt.
Both the packaging looked very good.
Mark

ok thanks, I sent a pic to the supplier, they wanted to see, I'll post the answer I get
Mark

Thanks Holly2015,
Yours looks exactly the same as my #2, my #1 is dry and will flow
I measured TB's
Scooped and leveled with a knife I got 13.1 , 13.1 , 13.4
Packed & leveled 14.2 .
seems a fairly large spread especially for small batches.
I appreciate your time breaking out your stuff and sending pics and weights.
Mark

Follow up
I decided to weigh my dry #1
14.9 g leveled packed
13.5 g leveled
So I guess not a big difference in mine .
Holly2015 maybe your TB is bigger ?
Also if anything I thought the wet cure would weigh more ,
Mark

Testing cure#1..
These are 2 different manufacturers of tsps....
You can see the difference....

Left.. 7.1 grams.. .. Right.. 5.7 grams..
The one on the left holds 24% more.... In my world of curing meats, that's not close enough... That's the difference between 195 Ppm nitrite and 156 Ppm nitrite..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky