Westinghouse Charcoal smoker build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbell7922

Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Kansas City
I am finally starting my smoker build after over a year of delays. Found a 1950's Westinghouse fridge that I picked up for a reasonable price. It actually still worked but I went ahead and gutted it anyways. I want to make a charcoal smoker out it. I have assembled a sizeable pile of metal and some odds and ends parts including the the racks out of a commercial convection oven, that I know I will need.

Right now I want some opinions on insulation. I am ready to order some Roxul from the local big box store and want opinions on what level I should use. I thinl just a standard R-15 or 16 Would be adequate but it goes up to a R-30. Thoughts?

BigBell7922

This is almost the exact same looking fridge as the one I am hoping to start working on in the next couple months.

Quick question, on mine the inside of the door is plastic (mine is actually cracked up and obviously needs to be replaced), but what is the interior of the fridge itself skinned in?  Is this safe for a hot smoker?  I've looked around some on the site, but cannot seem to find out.  This is obviously my first build, and no one I know around me has done one either.  I will try and post pictures sometime.

Thanks as usual for all the help you guys give out on this site.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky