Western NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Western NY
I'm from Lockport NY and new to smoking so I'm trying to find a place to get good wood and what choices are best. Anyone from the Western NY area that can show me the fire?

Not from NY but i would check on craigslist and call local tree trimmers. Maybe someone from your neck of the woods will come along soon to help you out.

Good Luck!

Reactions: the smoker
I’m from NY between Rochester and Syracuse. I like cherry wood best for most of my smoking as It has a nice smoke flavor that is not strong. I would check with anyone selling firewood and craigslist to start.

And don't forget the orchards along Lake Ontario for apple, pear etc and the vineyards for grape wood...

Our farm is over SW of Syracuse near Auburn.  If you're over this way shoot me a PM.  We can dig around the wood pile a bit.  There's apple, pear, walnut, butternut, ash, beech, red and white oak, cherry, 3-4 kinds of maple, 2 kinds of hickory, locust yadda, yadda, yadda.

We heat a big old farmhouse with wood so we can pull whatever you want out of the pile and cut or split it to whatever size you need.

Lance

That's awesome LanseR, however, sad for me I'm never out in your neck of the woods, haha

Williamsville here.

Walmart has hickory and mesquite chunks at most of their stores. You have one up on Transit there, don't you?

ac30...

I grew up in Amherst (Snyder) and Nancy is from Elma.

One other source for wood is millwork  shops such as cabinet and molding shops, hardwood flooring installers etc.  As a finish and trim carpenter who has made millwork and built custom stairs for many years a lot of what I use would have been in a dumpster or trash can.

Lance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky