Well, Krap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
We ordered a new MES 130 in October and have used it two or three times. Today, when I am programming in the temperature and time, as soon as I press up arrow, the hours go to 1:01 and the unit starts. After a few tries it reluctantly went to 3 hours. I've turned it off and back on and now while heat starts, I cannot do any programming. WARRANTY claim. So much for smoking a ham for New Years. I've had units previously and they survived being out in the cold. It is covered so no rain/sleet/snow can get in the unit.

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
Not for sure if it's the problem but some of them won't start up if it's too cold out. They say blow a hair dryer in it for a few minutes

Ryan

THanks!
I'll have to try this.
Never had it as an issue and have run others in MINUS 35.

Some electronic parts get flaky under zero C. I have had controllers error out when temps dropped below freezing.

My solution was to add a small heater inside the controller case to prevent this.

JC :emoji_cat:

minus 35?!?! Oh heck I just shivered hard thinking about that. You Canadians are a hearty bunch. You wouldn’t see me til the spring thaw.
Jim

Reactions: Millberry
Can you keep it in your garage and move outside when you want to use it?

Warren
We thought of that. I'd need to carry it from basement level garage (ranch style house) out to back yard and to opposite side of back yard...and back each smoke. I wish!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky