• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Well, Krap

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 21, 2012
We ordered a new MES 130 in October and have used it two or three times. Today, when I am programming in the temperature and time, as soon as I press up arrow, the hours go to 1:01 and the unit starts. After a few tries it reluctantly went to 3 hours. I've turned it off and back on and now while heat starts, I cannot do any programming. WARRANTY claim. So much for smoking a ham for New Years. I've had units previously and they survived being out in the cold. It is covered so no rain/sleet/snow can get in the unit.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Sad but it happens.

Warren

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Not for sure if it's the problem but some of them won't start up if it's too cold out. They say blow a hair dryer in it for a few minutes

Ryan

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 21, 2012
Not for sure if it's the problem but some of them won't start up if it's too cold out. They say blow a hair dryer in it for a few minutes

Ryan
THanks!
I'll have to try this.
Never had it as an issue and have run others in MINUS 35.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
THanks!
I'll have to try this.
Never had it as an issue and have run others in MINUS 35.
Some electronic parts get flaky under zero C. I have had controllers error out when temps dropped below freezing.

My solution was to add a small heater inside the controller case to prevent this.

JC :emoji_cat:

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 17, 2020
minus 35?!?! Oh heck I just shivered hard thinking about that. You Canadians are a hearty bunch. You wouldn’t see me til the spring thaw.
Jim

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 21, 2012
Tried the hair dryer trick and no luck. Requested replacement unit. Now without smoker for 4 weeks.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Can you keep it in your garage and move outside when you want to use it?

Warren

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 21, 2012
Can you keep it in your garage and move outside when you want to use it?

Warren
We thought of that. I'd need to carry it from basement level garage (ranch style house) out to back yard and to opposite side of back yard...and back each smoke. I wish!

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Oh well was a thought but forget that.

Warren

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.