Well I have decided to do it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomrip

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Well everyone, I have decided to open a BBQ joint.  I will be taking this slow, and will tell you guys step by step what I am doing. I have got the keys to my building, I have signed a one year lease, and at any time the owner will sell it to me. I have already run into my first snag. I live 4 and half hours from Chicago, and I made the trip to buy a used double spaced commercial fridge, and a 10 flavor ice cream freezer. Drove back from Chicago at 85 mph and had little issue. Yesterday we were half a mile from the restaurant and a gust of wind hit so hard that it tilted the fridge, and the strap broke. Both pieces of equipment flipped off the trailer at 25 mph. Fridge is destroyed, testing the freezer today. Nobody was hurt, so there is a bright side. The only reason I went that far was for the ice cream scooping station. I have not found any of the used equipment dealers in the area that have them. So since I was not in the place adding the equipment, I made my logo. Let me know what you think. I will be updating this topic as things happen.

Good luck, sorry to hear about your miss adventure so far. But a lesson learned for sure.

I'm in for the show ... let's see . . .
popcorn.gif
pepsi.gif
Coffee.gif
 , no the big 
110.gif
 , O.K. , I'm ready . . .

Congratulations , maybe these will be only bumps you have. What type of pit are you going with ?

Gary

Well everyone, right after i made that post i had a bad personal family problem hit me. Before that, i turned the water on, and 3 pipes had busted from freezing, i fixed those Monday around 6:30 pm, and then the bomb dropped on me around 8. I will continue working on the restaurant this weekend. for the smoker I decided to go with the Fast Eddy's by Cookshack Model FEC120. For the size this place is, it will do great. I will post pictures of the place this weekend when i go back down there. I will post my updates often. 

I hope the personal problems worked out for you. Best of luck as you actually get out there and open your own place. I wish you success.

Last edited:
Good luck - A big adventure. Keep us updated step by step

As someone that has done some research on this sort of thing, my wife really wants me to open up my own restaurant, I'd say utilize your space as much as possible! Don't just have a restaurant: have a meat case with all sorts of smoked items, maple smoked bacon, apple smoked bacon, maple smoked ham, apple smoked ham, etc... have a few shelves selling smoking related stuff (a-maze-n products come to mind!!!). Make your own lump charcoal with local woods. Make and sell personalized minis!

If I didn't make as much money working where I'm presently working I would be doing this as well...

As someone that has done some research on this sort of thing, my wife really wants me to open up my own restaurant, I'd say utilize your space as much as possible! Don't just have a restaurant: have a meat case with all sorts of smoked items, maple smoked bacon, apple smoked bacon, maple smoked ham, apple smoked ham, etc... have a few shelves selling smoking related stuff (a-maze-n products come to mind!!!). Make your own lump charcoal with local woods. Make and sell personalized minis!

If I didn't make as much money working where I'm presently working I would be doing this as well...
Really admire you for making a start. Something my friend would love to do as his bacon is so delicious. He gives it to us when he's made a batch. How could we advise him to go for it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky