Well, Huh..... Slight color on pork belly: Bacon Done!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
Not that I have done a whole lot of bacon, but this is a first for me. Got two pork bellies from Costco. Did my normal dry cure using Cure#1, salt and maple sugar. Also added a couple tablespoons of maple syrup. Put in Food saver bag and closed, but did NOT vacuum seal. I got most of the air out, not all but most.

Let sit for 15 days, turning daily. Pulled it out last night to sit in fridge overnight before smoking today. I noticed a bit of an off color in a couple places. I trimmed some of it off and it appears to be surface color only, where I trimmed it is nice and pink below.
IMG_0694.jpg

Have others experienced something like this before? It could be from the syrup? Since it seems to be only on the surface, and there was no off smell to it, I was planning on trimming it off and continuing on with my warm smoking today.

Thanks for reading and any comments/suggestions.

Oops.... Put in sausage thread..... Was aiming from Hot Smoked Bacon Thread... My bad....

Thank You for moving. I guess I need more coffee this morning.

I can't say I've done bacon with cure #1, only used TQ. But I've heard that as it cures it can look a bit off from time to time. If it didn't smell and was only on the surface I would think it's fine.

Well, I ended up trimming the off color sections and smoked them up!! Used my A MAZE N tube with a mix of apple, hickory and cherry. Had to refill once. Ran the smoker about 165 most of the time, and then I got distracted, oops. Was on heat for about 6 hours and I do bring the IT up a little higher than others do, about 165 - just because those that like to eat it feel a little better. Not sure they trust cure #1.

IMG_0702.jpg

All in all, everything looks and smells good. They are in the fridge for a day or two and then I will fry up a sample. Who am I kidding, there will be bacon in the morning!!

Thanks for looking.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Great color for sure. I am late to this. Sorry. The outside colors when coming out of the cure is normal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky