Welding Blanket - 2 thumbs up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
I was going to buy a Pit Boss insulated cover for my 800 series but couldn't find available anywhere. Decided to give the $35 Harbor Freight welding blanket a shot and WOW! I don't know how much better the name brand one could be but this was definitely worth it. The temp at 7am Sunday was 30 with a breeze. With the welding blanket the smoker was up to 225 and steady in about 25 minutes. I don't know about you guys but in that cold with a breeze that was really good. At times the temp would jump 5 degrees all at once which I've never seen before. There were also times I had the lid open for a solid minute at a time because I had multiple things going and the temp came back quickly. Highly recommend. Will probably pay for itself over one winter in pellet savings and will be much more efficient cooking in the cold. Couldn't recommend more. I didn't customize it yet either. I will probably punch 2 holes to get it tight against the box where the handle is. Only thing I goofed on was I tucked the edges in as close as I could not thinking about the very small hole for the temp gauge line and it turned the blanket pretty dark in just that spot. Make sure no areas of direct venting are covered.

Good for you. My old welding blanket started smelling pretty good after a few sessions, helping the smoker during winter.

I too bought one from HF a couple of years ago. Will definitely be wrapping the MES this weekend.

I use one over my pellet pooper, too.
Pretty stained up by the leaks in the lid, but works just fine.
These days it is for the milder spring and fall sessions. It stays home for the winter.

The Camp Chef factory winter blanket would probably look a little nicer, but I can't imagine it would work any better than my HF welding blanket. I was actually going to spring for the factory made blanket, but it pretty much staid out of stock so I ended up with the welding blanket. Does a fine job insulating the cook chamber and was a lot cheaper.

If your smoker is insulated, I'm sure an old fashion moving blanket would probably work as well. This is assuming the exterior wall temp is much lower than the interior temp and that the exhaust vent is on top. Electrical smoker? And it's not raining? Seriously?
Oh,,,,,,just get a welding blanket!:emoji_angry:

Last edited:
I use a Moving blanket on my PB, I only run 225 most of the time, no problems with melting it or any thing, may go out some day to a mess but I'm cheap and it works well.

Weather prognosticators are saying it's going to be a record cold Christmas here so the welding blanket will be used for sure...

Mine is carport kept and same temp as outside thus the use of a moving blanket, I don't take chances with the house as carport is separate and no chance of a house fire

Made a 3 sided and top coat for MES 40 out of Reflectix wrap and then HF welding blanket around that. Does well but would be tough in todays -17° and 30mph winds. Real feel temp at -51° now, no smoke for me today :emoji_disappointed:

Speaking of Reflectix wrap, here’s my MES40 wrapped 24/7. I know its not needed during most of of the year but it loves the extra warnth.

6F2A83CC-E7B6-47D6-9240-3F1E52A8CC43.jpeg

This next pic shows my winterbox in action which is a large cardboard box wrapped in heavy plastic. Slides over the Reflectix wrapped smoker. When not inuse, easily folds up and gets tucked away in the smoking shed.

F260E04E-B7BB-431E-B226-C71E2FB0442F.jpeg

Reactions: Winterrider
Yep - got one on mine too! I made slices in it for the gauges and handle and so it doesn't want to fall off when I open the lid. Perfect fit. $28. Amazon

Attachments

• DCP_8130.JPG
    DCP_8130.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hey all. With this cold weather and doing long smokes a heat sink can really help.
I use about 8 fire brick in the belly near and around the auger and fire pot.I leave a inch or between each one. Really helps especially for the longer cooks.
Have only done this with pellet grills.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky