Welcome to the New SMF!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When I first go to SMF off the home page, I usually hover over the heading "forums" and go to new posts .. this isnt working .. I made a new thread, and since then bearcarver replied to it, also I replied back and still doesnt show up in new posts ... I also seen chile started a thread and jeff replied to it and doesnt show up as well in new posts

looks great so far. need to get used to the new format

Wow quite the change and upgrade. Looks Great Jeff. A little bit of a learning curve and playing around for us but we should be able to get it..lol Just waiting for my new controller for the pit boss then smoking a brisket for the weekend. Looking forward to the smoke I have been without for awhile. then posting it on the new site....

Reactions: hellasteph
Looks very nice. I'm sure it was a ton of work.

The only issue I have is with Search. Searching for "lox", or "lox cold smoked" returns an error. Searching for "brisket" works fine.

Thanks for nice new site.

The only issue I have is with Search. Searching for "lox", or "lox cold smoked" returns an error. Searching for "brisket" works fine.

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that we're still rebuilding the search index on the site. Some terms maybe available, others may not. Stay tuned!

Search engine seems to be broken. None of these search terms get a hit: "pop's brine", "bacon on a stick", "brine". Seriously - not one hit for the word "brine". I was able to find Pop's member page, but it says he's never made a post. LOL. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out, but just wanted you to be aware that Search is broken. - Thanks, Matt

Search engine seems to be broken. None of these search terms get a hit: "pop's brine", "bacon on a stick", "brine". Seriously - not one hit for the word "brine". I was able to find Pop's member page, but it says he's never made a post. LOL. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out, but just wanted you to be aware that Search is broken. - Thanks, Matt

Hi there Matt, as my post states above, we know search is broken. Only some terms work at the moment. A more in-depth explanation is: we just moved a lot of data over and need to re-index everything so that it shows up properly. This is a standard procedure that is needed for a site migration like SMF. Thanks so much for reporting this. We're still working on it!

I just started a reply and then decided I didn't want to post. I don't see any icon to remove a partially-created post. I didn't see it under the "More Options..." button, and I don't see a trash can or anything else anywhere around the posting area.

The Media category seems pretty cool.
Might have to ask some info on this one. So far the only sub category it let me add to was the example.

I just started a reply and then decided I didn't want to post. I don't see any icon to remove a partially-created post. I didn't see it under the "More Options..." button, and I don't see a trash can or anything else anywhere around the posting area.

Hi there, in order for you to delete a post you didn't want, you will need to highlight the text and delete. If you wish to delete a draft, here's the draft icon to "save" or "delete" any drafts:

2017-10-05_1817.png

When I first go to SMF off the home page, I usually hover over the heading "forums" and go to new posts .. this isnt working .. I made a new thread, and since then bearcarver replied to it, also I replied back and still doesnt show up in new posts ... I also seen chile started a thread and jeff replied to it and doesnt show up as well in new posts

Hello, when I hover over "forums" and go to new posts, it's taking me to here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?find-new/982/posts - Are you seeing the same? If not, please let me know. Also, I'm seeing new posts populate in that area. Can you let me know if that's different for you?

Ok i had issues just getting here. Clicked the old link in my favorites and got the 404 message. Deleted everything after the dot com and hit enter. All good now. Guess all my links for ear marked recipes are gone. No big deal. I copied most to word doc.
Overall, I gotta say this is the first upgrade/reformat that I liked from the get go. Kudos !!

Ok i had issues just getting here. Clicked the old link in my favorites and got the 404 message. Deleted everything after the dot com and hit enter. All good now. Guess all my links for ear marked recipes are gone. No big deal. I copied most to word doc.

Hi there, hang tight. We're working to restore those broken links. Your content isn't gone, it will reappear as soon as we resolve the issue.

Overall, I gotta say this is the first upgrade/reformat that I liked from the get go. Kudos !!

Thank you! We're still working on improving it so please allow us to continue to clean up the site. Cheers!

Hi there, in order for you to delete a post you didn't want, you will need to highlight the text and delete. If you wish to delete a draft, here's the draft icon to "save" or "delete" any drafts:
Thanks. I see it now.

However, I am not a fan of having the "delete draft" button in the middle of all the formatting icons. It simply does not belong there. As a software designer, the icons in a toolbar should be grouped in some logical manner. The delete draft stuff should be down with the Post Reply, etc., not next to buttons which add and rotate images.

Also, while typing this reply I decided to click on the "More Options ..." button in the lower right corner. That was a mistake. Try it yourself. You get a new screen which actually has far fewer options. I actually see no point to this "more options" screen. Perhaps something is yet to be added.

What's more, if you click the back button on your browser (I'm using Firefox), you are returned to the middle of the previous page (the one that contains all the posts, along with my partially-completed draft), and NOT back to the area where I was typing. The good news is that, unlike the old forum that would often lose my drafts, this new one preserved what I had typed.

That is a major improvement. Thanks for that!

Ok what is the defining difference between "new posts" and Recent Posts" ? Each lead to different page with some duplication from the other page.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky