Welcome Michiganders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, MI folks...it's gonna be 41 in West Michigan...anyone planning on burning meat this weekend? I'm still in the burning Metal stage, but getting closer!
If a warm up in late fall is Indian Summer, what should we call this cr@...

Hey, it was supposed to be 75 degrees and sunny today, dang you Michigan weather! Hopefully this rain clears out, I'm planning on smoking some pork chops tonight here in Madison Heights!

379913_594838492924_1575604071_n.jpg

Nice weather here in Grand Rapids, this is last weeks smoke.. IM thinking of doing some slaw, ribs and chicken tomorrow.

Last edited:
Finally got from "building" to "cocking"! Still got some work to do, but here's what I ended up with:
That was the burn in day...
Yesterday wasn't as nice, but it was finally time to add food:
Shamp gave me some hints with my rib recipe (starting from scratch with the new rig).
Next up is a trial run on brisket...I'm cooking a bunch of that for a friend's son's open house in July so I need to practice...bummer, huh?

MES 30 number 3 has officially produced some Q... 

First MES superheated and shut itself down, Masterbuilt replaced it for free.  Second one turned out to be off about 30-35 degrees on the meat probe and the internal temp.  3rd one went through their QA group before shipping to me and they sent me a nice stand for it considering all the issues ( which weren't much )

Just smoked 4 ribeyes and did a reverse sear for mothers day dinner.  I would call it about 80% successful.  I used Jack Daniels whiskey barrel and apple chips, and I think I got too much smoke into the meat.  The flavor was good, but the smoke masked too much of the natural beef flavor.  Otherwise, the temp was perfect, the cook was even all the way through and the temp probe and internal temp were spot on for cooking temps.

I think next time I will not pre-smoke to get the smoke going before I put the meat in, then it wont smoke for quite as long, and that should help with the too much smoke issue.

Hoping to get a couple of st Louis slabs and a pork butt on the smoke during the Memorial Day weekend.

Anyone else with an MES do any Salmon?  Looking for a good recipe that doesn't require salting the heck out of it or cold smoking.

Hanging with you bro...lit the rig at 6:30, been babysitting it and doing yard work since...finally hit she shower, chaise in the shade, and beer next to me. Life. Is. Good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky