Weisswurst Two Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good morning!
Well I finally got around to trying my luck at Weisswurst and decided to go two routes. One route using Veal and one with equal parts Chicken, Pork Tenderloin and lean Beef.
Special thanks to zwiller and Polish Deli for ideas!
I looked at 3 or 4 recipes and decided on the one from www.meatsandsausages.com as a starting point. Simple and didn't use emulsifying. Problem was that it was in grams and I had 2lbs of Veal and wanted to use it all
so I had to do some calculations: recipe.jpg
what I came up with was:
908g Veal or equal parts Chicken, Pork tenderloin and lean Beef
608g Hog Jowl
8g "No Salt" brand salt substitute
2g White Pepper
1 1/2 tb fresh Parsley
1 1/2 tb fresh Chives
1 heaping tsp fresh Lemon zest
1/2 tsp Mace
1/2 tsp Accent
1 1/2 tb Milk

meat.jpg jowl.jpg 3 meats.jpg
The Veal was already ground once but everything else had to be ground through the 1/4" and 1/8" plates.
grnd jowl.jpg Veal veal fine grind.jpg Mix fake fine grind.jpg
Identical (as close as I could get) spices:
spices.jpg
Mixed and into the fridge overnight:
Veal on the left. mixed.jpg
Next day stuffing into 34mm hog:
Once again Veal on the left. veal stuffed.jpg fake stuffed.jpg
Rested overnight again: resting.jpg Veal on the bottom.
Butter fried for the taste test:
cut wursts.jpg While getting the Veal and Jowl at Clous's I picked up some of their Weisswurst.
The left one is the Veal and the middle one is the Faux mix. The right is one from Clous to remind me just how much of an amateur I am :-)
We both liked the one with the 3 meats better than the Veal but it's a close call. Next time I'll bump up the spice quantities a little but not much.
I like the texture of Clous's but it seemed to have too much Nutmeg, Ginger, Mace or a combination. I couldn't quite place it but after a couple of bites
that's all you tasted. Still delicious! Reminded me why I never went to their shop with more than $40.....
I'll probably do the Faux mix next time because then you have Tenderloin left over for dinner.
plate.jpg

Now I can spend the rest of the afternoon watching my first Brisket of the year :-)
smoke.jpg

Thanks for looking and stuff on!
Dan

The Weißwurst looks great. Some dark bread, brown mustard, fries, and a cold beer....!

Here is a link that might be helpful as well to a site that I use his recipe book for home and catering. The site is in German, however, your web translator will handle it pretty easy. I've attached the translated version of the curry wurst recipe - Weißwurst in sauce covered with curry powder. You will find the basic sausage recipe along with the sauce. If you want other ideas, go to the link and read the comments. I picked up on the idea of feeding an endless sausage directly to the hot water for cooking, remove, cool, dice, then serve. Reduces the headaches with casings which are removed anyway prior to frying. 🍻
John

BTW - How did the brisket turn out?

Berliner Currywurst ohne Darm selber machen | Wurst und Schinken selber machen (selber-wurst-machen.de)

Attachments

• Berliner Currywurst ohne Darm selber machen _ Wurst und Schinken selber machen.pdf
    575.4 KB · Views: 11
Dan nice work bud . Great effort on the meat types and following the formula . I did some from Poli's site . I used all pork , and used the SV to cook it . I need to do round 2 .
I love the stuff .

Reactions: SmokyMose
Nice experiment with the Weisswurst! Traditionally these sausages are boiled which makes the skin tough, and one option is to peel and slip the skins and lightly fry.... or eat them by sort of squeezing the contents out. Purists are quick to point out that the skin is never eaten, but I've made it and stuffed into smaller diameter sheep casings. I don't poach as long and when they hit the grill the more delicate casing will crisp up and sometimes split which helps with the squeeze technique. The other tradition of eating Weisswurst before noon came from the days of no refrigeration and so sausages made in the morning were cooked and eaten before noon so they would not spoil.

Side by side AND shootout, NICE JOB! I thought for sure the veal would win...

THANKS for the german site link John Wurstmeister Wurstmeister . Gonna dive into that!

I planned on trying them but Rich chopsaw chopsaw beat me to it and they work perfect: strip-able hot dog casings are what I will always use for mine.

Wayne thirdeye thirdeye makes sense about the tradition and admit when I first learned these were breakfast sausages I thought it one of the weirdest things ever but no longer do and love them for breakfast.

Reactions: SmokyMose
The Weißwurst looks great. Some dark bread, brown mustard, fries, and a cold beer....!

Here is a link that might be helpful as well to a site that I use his recipe book for home and catering. The site is in German, however, your web translator will handle it pretty easy. I've attached the translated version of the curry wurst recipe - Weißwurst in sauce covered with curry powder. You will find the basic sausage recipe along with the sauce. If you want other ideas, go to the link and read the comments. I picked up on the idea of feeding an endless sausage directly to the hot water for cooking, remove, cool, dice, then serve. Reduces the headaches with casings which are removed anyway prior to frying. 🍻
John

BTW - How did the brisket turn out?

Berliner Currywurst ohne Darm selber machen | Wurst und Schinken selber machen (selber-wurst-machen.de)
Thank you Sir! I'm thinking Red Kraut, Spaetzle and Rye bread coming up soon. Thanks for the link. I've lost it now but a German member a couple of years ago turned me on to their website much like this one. I need to find it again. That's where I learned they use MSG in almost all sausage, hence my use of Accent.

The brisky hit 180IT about an hour ago and got wrapped. It's at 189 now and it should be ready in another hour or so. The offset has been running a little hot....

Dan nice work bud . Great effort on the meat types and following the formula . I did some from Poli's site . I used all pork , and used the SV to cook it . I need to do round 2 .
I love the stuff .
Thank you! I need to try the SV thing.
Round 2 is going to be a while. We have 7plus lbs to go through LOL!

Nice experiment with the Weisswurst! Traditionally these sausages are boiled which makes the skin tough, and one option is to peel and slip the skins and lightly fry.... or eat them by sort of squeezing the contents out. Purists are quick to point out that the skin is never eaten, but I've made it and stuffed into smaller diameter sheep casings. I don't poach as long and when they hit the grill the more delicate casing will crisp up and sometimes split which helps with the squeeze technique. The other tradition of eating Weisswurst before noon came from the days of no refrigeration and so sausages made in the morning were cooked and eaten before noon so they would not spoil.
Thank you! I noticed that Clous's always split the casing while cooking but paid it no mind. Mine didn't.

To both Smokeymose and Zwiller: Happy to be of help. Here is a site I first used back in 2017 that has a complete course available via pdf file - Wurstrezepte / Wurst selber machen / Bratwurst selber machen – nichts leichter als das! (wurst-rezept.de)

When I bought my copies of their course, they were only in German. Since I was using them as references, that wasn't a major problem and actually helped increase my German language abilities and impressed the students and a German resturant friend of mine. Honestly, the books you'll see advertised are all they say and more if they catch your eye. The classes are detailed for the pro and knob.

Best of enjoyment and keep us posted on your works. I love learning from and sharing with others. 🍻 John

YEA BABY ON THE BRISKET!!!! 🍻🍻🍻🍻

That all looks great! Thanks for providing the thorough comparison.
Interesting how the 20% of beef really changed the color.
What was flavor difference between the two? And was the diffence really noticeable?

What was flavor difference between the two? And was the diffence really noticeable?
Thank you!
Not really noticeable to me, but the Mrs. definitely liked the mix better. The beef did change the color. I can't vouch for the quality of the Veal.
Funny thing. I didn't vac package until a couple of days after my post. They just sat in containers in the fridge.
I kept a few of the faux mix for dinner after sealing the rest and slow fried them with kraut and they actually turned white while cooking and had a smoother texture.
Could that extra couple of days have made that difference?

I'll try this again. I don't know what happened to my reply....
Thank you!
I didn't really notice that much flavor difference but there was a difference. It's a bland sausage to begin with and the Pork and Beef added something I think. The Mrs. definitely liked the meat mix better. I can't vouch for the quality of the Veal....
Funny thing. I didn't vac-seal to freeze for a couple of days after my post, they just sat in containers in the fridge. When I packaged I kept a couple out for dinner and slow fried them with kraut and they actually turned white while cooking and had a smoother texture.
Could that extra couple of days have made that difference?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky